California: 1,000 Rats up for adoption - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

California: 1,000 Rats up for adoption

http://www.kare11.com/news/whatsup/w...4191&catid=333

If anyone lives in, near (or has relatives in or near) San Jose, CA, please go to this shelter and adopt some rats. They desperately need new homes, and at over 1,000 I wouldn't be surprised if the shelter euthanizes some of them to manage numbers.

Please pass this along to other rat lovers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Part of the Pack

oh my god that's horrible! is there any more information out there on them? are they shipping them? its really hard to find rats in my area it took me months to find a breeder and even that was a wash i had to rescue my Queequeg, and i got the others from an accidental litter as well.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh my gosh! Thank you for posting Breyer!
Can I convince someone to let me get some :o?
http://www.andyspetshop.com/ This link helps as well.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Last edited by CrWoodyspets; 11-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Good post Breyer, I hope there are some California people out there who will adopt some of these little guys.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Part of the Pack

i passed this info on to my FB maybe some of my breeder acquaintances can help~!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Newborn Pup

youtube.com/watch?v=7tFWFDnAq98 - Here is one video related to this case, showing a few of the tiniest ratties rescued in this case....

That is all I was able to find, in the way of videos.

I wish every one of those rats all the best, and good luck in finding the families that are meant to love them. <3
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for passing this info along, everyone. I have also posted it in a note on my Facebook, and have tagged all my California friends and relatives. Hopefully we'll find some homes for these little guys.

This is a video posted by the shelter in which one of their workers talks briefly about how rats make great pets. It's a good thing to pass on to those who might freak out at the thought of pet rats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-80PxgCxjBY

Also, it never hurts to include a few photos of your own little ones.

Please spread this around to as many people as you can. I'm not sure how long the shelter will hold them before resorting to euthanization.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

True conversation-
Yesterday my mom told me about how Hoarders was filming a house with 1,000 rats.

Me: "Mom remember those thousand rats? Do you know where they are from?"
Mom: "Yes and I purposely left that part out."
Dad: *chuckles* "Ugh oh!"

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
True conversation-
Yesterday my mom told me about how Hoarders was filming a house with 1,000 rats.

Me: "Mom remember those thousand rats? Do you know where they are from?"
Mom: "Yes and I purposely left that part out."
Dad: *chuckles* "Ugh oh!"
Do it!!!!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Newborn Pup

@ CrWoodyspets -

WOW!!!

You live near enough to, or in, San Jose??
Will you get to volunteer to help? Socializing would be REALLY fun!!! - AND it helps the little things have a great chance of getting a good family. <3

Or do you think you'd be able to adopt one? (or more?)

That's cool someone on the forum here is close to 'ground zero' of this massive amount of rats in need. Keep us updated about the rats, if you do adopt or learn anything new? Please?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'll keep you guys updated if I happen to find anything new. I live a few hours away, so not really close enough to volunteer, but definitely close enough to adopt! I'm not sure if my family will let me though :/ I've been trying my best to convince them!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Part of the Pack

good luck~!

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

that's so many ratties I do hope people will be able to adopt them all and give them a second chance!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Part of the Pack

Wow I hope they all find good homes. I heard about this from my relatives who live in California who said they might consider adopting a couple but their not sure yet.
CrWoodyspets thats cool that you live close by and hopefully you can adopt one.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Poor ratties; I hope someone rescues them soon! Where I live (4th biggest city in the UK) there is only 1 rodent rescue shelter. It makes me very sad how some people don't consider these wonderful animals worthy of our time or love. I visitd the rodent rescue last week to adopt 2 female mice and ended up taking 3. She had 20 and I would have loved to take them all but just don't have the space or time to take care of so many. We must spread the rodent love! Once people encounter them it's very hard not to fall in love. The hard but is trying to get them to encounter them in the first place!

Mister Winston Shiny-Sides