Can I feed my mice crickets? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Smile

Oh Lucky & Pepper, I do highly recommend both lizards and snakes. I have two species of chameleon, 6 leopard geckos, two uromastyxes, a tomato frog, and 3 cornsnakes. I have in the past also owned crocodile skinks, bearded dragons, crested geckos, and viper geckos.

If you have room for them beardies make great first time reptile pets, tolerate handling pretty well-easy care-hardy, etc. But they do need space and expensive light.

Same goes for Mali Uromastyx.

Leopard geckos and crested geckos are cheaper and make good beginner reptiles but aren't as interesting to observe.

Cornsnakes are very tame and easy to care for and have fairly affordable requirements and they come in so many varieties. I love mine to death.

Basically they're all great if you research them ahead of time to know what they need (their needs differ so much from mammals), find a good reptile vet, and know what to expect from them. So many people end up doing harm to or getting rid of reptiles because they expect them to be scaley versions of mammals that love human contact and attention and show affection. Some are more social and handleable than others, but none of them love a lot of handling and they just don't have it in them to cuddle and show affection.

Let us know if you end up getting something scaley. I just love the little critters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, luvboyrats. I'm considering getting some kind of reptile or amphibian, but I doubt my parents would let me. I'll probably have to wait until I'm in college before I can get any more pets. :/
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

You should take up the time researching different ones then.That way you will be ready when you can get a reptile.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I have a few years before college. I think I'll get a leopard gecko when I do. I have a few friends who have them.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have two leos,they are greyt little lizards and quite easy to look after.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

That's good. I'm probably going to be very, very busy in college, so I wouldn't want something that was high-maintenance.

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, crested gecko, leopard gecko, pet store, spiny mice, tree frog