Can males live together? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Can males live together?

My two female mice (I got them from the pet store and they came pregnant, we even asked them about the chances of that and the girl told us very slim as they were separated early enough, but that is another story) just both had their litters. One had 13 two weeks ago and the other had 6 a week ago (well 11 but I found 5 dead ones pushed off to the side during the course of 3 days).

I was wondering though, can male litter mates live together? I am going to keep a few and I believe the couple I want to keep are males and a female. I know the female can stay with the two moms, but I have read about never letting two males live as cage mates. I called the pet store and asked them and they said they would be fine. Also when I was buying the two mice she was going to sell me two males, but I liked the two girls better.

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I already have two cages so I can separate them before I give them away so I don't end up with more babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they tend to fight i think, turkeyman would have more info...

it probably has alot to do with how large the cage is and they cant be close to the females because they will smell them and fight

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:24 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

when my mice had babies a while back i had 9 living together and they still are now and they are 5 months old now and there's never been a fight with them, my friend owns them now it's better that they are littermates as they'll grow up together, well thats just my view i know there will be loads of others

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Part of the Pack

Males have to be introduced young to live together. You will be fine as long as you keep the males away from the females.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Where do you live? I know that's a really strange question but male mice are supposed to be more peaceful in certain countries. It has to do with genetics.

Either way they might be fine since they are brothers but you'll want to watch them carefully when they reach sexual maturity...they might eventually need to be seperated.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I live in Ontario, Canada.

On another note I get to see them tonight...(I have been away all week, and someone else has been taking care of them). I will post pictures later of them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

If you keep them together from birth,there should be little or no problems! I have successfully raised male littermates up,with no probs.

However I have to add,if you have 2 males living together with no problems and you seperate them for whatever reason,even for a short period of time...they may not accept eachother again!

Keep the spare cage just in case...because sometimes males will fight to the death!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I don't know anything about mice but I just wanted to wish you luck with them. I know how hard it can be raising young ones

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
cage mate, female mice, litter mates, male mice, pet store