Can rats cry? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Unhappy Can rats cry?

Ok. My boyfriend has become addicted to "hooded" rats. Well we were playing with baby rats and he fell in love with a rat. So we brought her home and as I was setting up a tank I took time out to listen to her. I don't know if this sound is comming from her vocal box or her lungs. I am pretty sure it's her mouth. Now how can I describe this...????....Ok I got it she sounds like a monkey grunting lightly...like a chimp or something. I dunno is this normal? Could it be crying? She is very young and none of the other girls sound like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

If you got it from a pet store, it probably has a respiratory infection. Every single rat I've brought home from a petstore has the sniffles for at least 5-10 days afterwards.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Playful Pup

Munchie did that, I was wondering what that was. I thought she was having a bad dream because she did it in her sleep.

Starting new diet...Wish me luck...Any others dieting, let me know, we can be each other's support group!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Sneezing for a few days when you bring home a new rat can be normal, but respiratory sounds means a trip to the vet for antibiotics. It sounds like your new girl has a URI (upper respiratory infection).

Rats are not inexpensive pets at all, and you need to have at least 2 of them since they are highly social animals.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah soulds like she's sick. keep her qt'd and give her lots of water adn food adn warm sleepy stuff and she should come around. also for the next week LET HER SLEEP, she'll do it tons, play with her once or twice a day but dont' wake her up.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Shes in the same room as my other rodents is this ok? Shes still very active also I have heard my other rats sneeze anmd they don't sound like this new one.

1 Cat- Luna

Last edited by Mousey; 04-27-2007 at 12:31 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68
Sneezing for a few days when you bring home a new rat can be normal, but respiratory sounds means a trip to the vet for antibiotics. It sounds like your new girl has a URI (upper respiratory infection).

Rats are not inexpensive pets at all, and you need to have at least 2 of them since they are highly social animals.
I have four rats total so no worries. But how contagious is this?

1 Cat- Luna

Last edited by Mousey; 04-27-2007 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

soorry I posted so many post so short back to back my computer was acting up. Ok I listened to her today and she sounds 100% normal. The monkey sound is not there anymore. I can't get her to a vet until next week unfortuneately. So is there anything I can do for her until then or should I take her back?

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Part of the Pack

it is very contagious, thats why there is QT

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Keep a very close eye on her and watch that breathing. Sometimes they stop for a day or 2 and it comes back with a vengeance.
Some things are contagious, and those can be deadly. Myco also has different strains and your rat may have one mild strain and not get sick, but you bring a rat with a different strain in, and your rat could contract it and get really ill or possibly die.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,it is a huge chance of an RI or myco.And because you didn't quaratine,there is a good chance that if the new rat has something,your other rats will catch it.Keep your eye on them!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I am quaratineing my new rat she's just in the same room as some of my mice. I was wanting to know if my mice are in danger as well.

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
baby rats, pet store, respiratory infection, social animals, upper respiratory infection