Can rats eat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Question Can rats eat?

Cna rats eat Rice plain or cooked I have heard that they cdan and been told that but I dont know. I have never tryed it have never seen it on any site that they can. So can they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Sure

Just keep it to a minimum. I don't think they'll eat uncooked rice so I wouldn't give that.

*Missy*
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:09 AM

Cooked rice is fine mind you i haven't found anything my fancies didn't eat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

So I can give them hamberger and rice like I do my dogs and cats mixed only boiled hamburger I was told by my vet to boil it becuase regulaer hamburger in a frying pain is to greasy. which I already new that. I give it to my dogs and the cats as a treat and I have gave them boilded hamburger with a can of mix veggies ad cooked it like a stew only I dont add any seasonings I was told garlic and tomatoes and certion spices they should not have becuse soem are to spicey or acity. Granted I sneek them everything I eat here and there but what spices or herbs can they have that is good for them or on ocasion? They seem to like my stew fine with out any thing added but I know sweet potatos are better for them adn the mix veggies have regualer potatos so I either pick them out or leave them in becuase their is not that many I sometimes make a big batich and add 2 cans of veggie mix with cans of other veggies like peas, carots, corn, black eyed peas, and green beans. then I add the hamburger, or what ever meat I have that is not freazer burn but starting ot or has been in there for a while and would be tuff. I know what they can or cant have but some sites say no never this, or sometimes so I want to ask and exspert who knows what they can have. Liek one site said not orange juice for the males but they can have oranges or the peal. but not the juice well if they had a slice of orange would there not be juice in it. but its ok for the females so I figer if its something that one can have but not the other None of them get it. Also useing pur vinilla extrax in their water I use a tea spoon liek a 24 ounce I use 4 to 5 and it helps keep downt he amoya smell exspecially in the hot weatehr months. It works wonders for my mice exspecially my males. and for the Guiean pigs. but thanks for the info on the rice.
Diamond
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

ps I was asking what seasonings adn stuff for rats as in can they or cant they have that is and the big batches I freez so much and then tey can have some another time. I liek to in the summer make icecubs with veggies or fruits in them so they have a fun cool treat in the summer.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 AM
RAT ADDICT

Rice is good for rats.
Do not feed them anything spicy,salty or sugary.
Basically the healthy parts of what you eat are okay for rats,since their diet is similar to ours.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

The only sugery stuff I feed them i snatuarly sweet. Some sites I see say never this or that BUt they also say that is their opion. I waqs told that Toffu was good but not raw cooked is better I dont like it so I dont give it to them.i giv ethem noodels that are not cooked to help with there teeth and chews. But some one told me to make corn bread and then take malasses and think it out over the corn bread and gie it to them as a naturally sweet snack but I have not tryed the mollasses I know its natural but dont know if they cna have it. the sites I have seen state only the healthy diet and list fruits and veggies I have seen some recipes for rats and mice but never tryed them except one that was with rasions and corn meal and hony as they cook till crispy and they are made to look like little tiny drops. sorry if I misspell stuff I not that great of a speller and I always mess up on a key broad worse.
I heard that yogert is good for them I have only given them plain yogert and some vinnilla but is there and certin yogerts they shoould not have and some one told me puddy was ok and watered down coolair made into ice cubs I have never tryed that but if I did should I use suger free for the diebetics which I think would be better for them. Also I have another question I know rats can burp becuase if somthing they dont have like we do but I cant think of what its called becuase some one asked me if they could have pop an I said no they cant burp becuase of them lacking wht we have to let us. and she wanted to know what it was and what would happen if she gave them pop or ever flat pop and i told her that they would proably feel like we do when we hve top burp but can sometimes or get indigestion or and upset tummy really badly. but thank you for the info.
Diamond
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

No,rats cannot burp.
Giving them pop is a bad idea,as it is very uncomfortable for them.

I have given my rats Gatorade and fruit juices as a treat on hot days,but never tried Koolaid.If it is very watered down,then I do not see it being a problem in small amounts.

Yogurt is okay.But again,not in large amounts.Rats do not process dairy products well.They are lactose intolerant.I am not really sure about the tofu.I am vegetarian,but have never given my rats tofu.Pudding contains alot of sugar.

Rats will eat anything,but it is our job to make sure they don't eat bad things! Because if they had their way,they would eat everything they got their little hands on!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

NEver thought of gatoraid but what is it that called that we have that lets us burp but not them. I keep telling this chick that they cant burp and she siad they have to becuase every thing that drinks milk has to burp they woudl die if they didnt. I have never heard mine ever burp and I told her that its not a good idea but she thinks that is makes the pop flat it woudl be ok. But If she gets a sick rat I told her dont call me. Thank fully they are non of me rats form my litters.
I knwo rats will there hand on and eat or chew on anything. Ask my fieoncey about laving the new valcum bags we bought laying on the stand close to them. I told him to watch becuase the new bags are clsoe while he change the old one and he was liek I know they wont be there that long and my hands were full of landery and a few mins later he was like hey were did they go did you move them I was like no I had my handfull and there they were in the cage. Thankfully non of them ingested anything becuase I dont know what all the bags are made of. But it was funny.
Diamond
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Here is a link you might like to read.
http://www.ratbehavior.org/vomit.htm

* Lisa *

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Thank you. Also do rats drule? I have heard of people saying that when they get old as in really old they have noticed some druling and also some have said that when they are really relaxed they get so relaxed they have a tendency to drule> I have never known my rats to do that and few others I have chatted with said the only critter they ever heard of druling was a dog and some cats like my paernts cat when she is really relaxed adn getting lots of pets she tendts to drule. I would think drulingin rats woudl be medical if they are old and over the hill I can see maybe. Alot of these questions people ask me like the pop and not beling able to burp and I tell them that they cant they have something that is diffrent then us that makes them not able to. they ask me about druling and food and I tell them what i have read studyed and what i have found out from exsperiec. i tell them what they are not shure of to look up and give them sites I have visited that are very godo adn knoloegable. BUt I didnt know in all the years of ownignrats that they could not vomit. I have owed rats for years this is my fisrt year breading and so far I have only had 4 litters one litter and mom was givn to me becuase she was a rescue and then after so long by a reputable breeder given to me to help in my siemaes lines along wither her babies but that was becuase the rat and her didn't get along the rat really hated her adn when she comes to visit still dose but she is fine around me but there are some she will do this hiss and attck the cage when they come close. We also have notice she is really not able to see and has nipped me when I dont think jsut reachign into the cage like normal to feed and clean I ushally say hey its me and let her know but she almost has to get upon something to see it. I know that red or ruby eyes they canhave trouble seeing. She was a rescue but in great health with no problems. All her babies are fine and dont bit nore show they cant see as liek her. they do sway like some I have noticed but aproch me with kiss. But we also think she was abused as well before my friend got her and then me. But thank you fo rthe info.
Diamond

Tags
rat deit