can you keep one male mouse? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

can you keep one male mouse?

i've been reading up on mice, and it says that although mice are social animals, and should be kept in same sex pairs, alot of sites also say that you shouldn't keep male mice together.

does that mean it's ok to keep one male mouse? that would be assuming that there's enough to do in the cage etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think normally you have to keep only one male to a cage, unlike rats, male mice tend to fight with another male sometimes til death

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If male mice fight to the death, it's because they can't establish who is boss.
Male mice can be kept together. They might fight from time to time, but it's to show ho is boss...
Of course, if it gets to violent, they should be seperated...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

For the most part,male mice are HIGHLY territorial.
They are not like male rats who are social and male mice do not accept other males very easy (if at all).

Sometimes there is the exception.
However yrs of raising mice,proves it can be hard and I have only raised up male littermates together,with NO seperating.I found that if I seperated a littermate and tried to re-introduce him again later,it didn't work.Many times male mice are quite violent with eachother and will fight to the death.

They can be raised up sometimes...but like I said,it is hard to do.Amd even littermates will often have squabbles.

Male mice do quite well on their own!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 AM

Most people will tell you that males must be housed alone. The only males I have living together right now are young littermates, so I have no firsthand experience keeping adult males together. However, my lone adult male, Jude, seems perfectly happy by himself. Just make sure that if you get one, he gets lots of attention and has a nice cage with things to play with, since he won't have any other mice for company.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks for the help guys, i was just kinda wondering because nowhere really says about keeping male mice.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

When I had mice I learned very quickly that the males could not be kept together. They would always fight, often inflicting serious wounds to each other. I also noticed that the dominant male would sometimes try to castrate the inferior ones. I see this A LOT in pet stores and it sickens me. Even when I bred it was very hard to keep the males together when they started to get older. And I would never adopt out two males to the same home or a home who already had a male mouse. I made it very clear that males do not get along and it is not worth trying. It just stresses them. That was one of the reasons why I stopped breeding mice. They’re not as peaceful (the males together) as rats. Mine lived in separate cages with lots of toys and they were happy little things. The females however needed the companionship of each other.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Weird, I've never heard abut that problem over here - not that bad anyway.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 AM

I tried keeping two males together once. They were litter mates. longhaired bueaties. they got along well, but one day i went to school and came home to find one tore to little bits.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Playful Pup

My Teacher, years ago, thought we should have two pet Mice, Males, she bought. things went well, but i did tell her they shouldnt be together, of course, she was the "teacher" and "Knew more than a kid" Needless to say, 3 months later, the one male bit the other males head clean off over night
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ow. just ow.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim