Care Credit-Major Life Saver - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Care Credit-Major Life Saver

Okay, my boys went to the vet 10 days ago and they were better but not much, so I had to go back, but I didn't know how we were gonna make it work because we paid $220 already and we're having some money troubles. So I was really stressed out, no one was getting better and I was running out of options.

Anyway my boss told me about care credit. It's a credit card you can use at some vets, doctors, and dentists to pay for procedures. If you pay it off in one year there's no interest so it's just a payment plan. I signed up for it, was approved the same day, and checked the website for local participating vets. That led me to this wonderful vet!

He knew all about rats. He said they weren't better because my vet gave me a really weak solution of baytril which would work for some stuff but not myco. He said I had pretty much gotten the run around payin $30 bucks for that stuff and there was no chance of it working long term. He checked at 3 rats instead of the two I took in last week, gave me a vile full of pure baytril instead of half a vile of diluted baytril and all the extra syringes I need plus ran one fecal smear for $157 instead of the $220 I paid last week. I have soo much more hope that they'll get better now! And I didn't pay a penny today I just gave them my care credit card number. Wonderful! You can apply online and everyone should. I'm not sure if they have it outside the US though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just be careful, some interest rates have a minimum purchase price and it's usually veterinarian specific. For instance, we had a 90 day 0% plan but you had to have an invoice of $300 or more. Check your bill when you get it, CareCredit's standard interest rate is in the 20% range. You'd be better off with a regular visa/mastercard in most cases.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Rodentologist

Be careful with undiluted Baytril as it's quite caustic and nasty tasting, and can be almost impossible to dose because of it's taste. Most vets dilute it and give a larger amount.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I had undiluted Baytril and it's extremely hard to give! The vets said it's very bitter tasting and Pepper really, really hated it! We had to wrap him in a towel and hold him down hirmly so he didn't escape. Sometimes his nose bled though. After we gave him something very sweet or just one of their treats to try and get rid of the taste.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we have an emergency visa, it has a puppy on it so we know...we did use carecredit when Pup broke his leg though and it was so great, just because it was fast and we got him in right away...after that we started a large "safety pet" account that we use for vet care

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
I had undiluted Baytril and it's extremely hard to give! The vets said it's very bitter tasting and Pepper really, really hated it! We had to wrap him in a towel and hold him down hirmly so he didn't escape. Sometimes his nose bled though. After we gave him something very sweet or just one of their treats to try and get rid of the taste.
I can confirm the bitter taste -- I've gotten it in my mouth before. YUCK.

I usually actually mix the medicine itself with snow cone flavoring for rats. It makes it taste much better!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unfortunately the last vet seems to have been diluting it and giving me a really small amount, it just wasn't knocking anything out.

It's interesting that y'all had that much trouble giving it. Mine have had two doses now, and they obviously hate it, but it actually went much better than I expected. I may try that snow cone idea though.

And you're right the interest is high if you don't reach the minimum payment, which we didn't yesterday, but still whether or not it hurts you depends on your finances. Right now we're flat broke till we get paid again, so I couldn't pay cash. We could have used one of our credit cards, but the minimum payment for those is much higher than the minimum payment for carecredit, so for us eventually paying 15 or 20 bucks in interest over the year isn't so bad if for now we can make small payments and yesterday I didn't have to pay up front for the vet. It definitely wouldn't be best for some people with small vet charges. I really do think it would be a major life saver for anyone with anything like a major operation or some other huge vet or doctor bill they weren't expecting, because after a $300 minimum it's interest free.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 AM

So far they have taken it ok. Great idea on the snow cone flavoring. We may have to try that. One of the big problems we had was our vet was giving us diluted Baytril but dosing it like it was straight. It wasn't doing the trick at all. I think she has been giving them apple sauce almost immediately afterwards laced with probiotics and vitamin C. Even with the nasty tasting nondiluted baytril they seem easier to give medicine too than any reptile we have ever medicated or force fed.

Correct on the care credit It does have to be 300 dollars to be zero interest but 157 can be easily paid off in a month or two and at the current interest rate that comes to about $3 the first month and about $1.50 the next give or take a few cents so if it were a bigger amount it would hurt pretty bad but for 150 I think it will be alright. We were going to pay it off pretty quick anyway. My debt and her 50 mile a day commute for work are part of the main reason we needed to do this in the first place. We can't afford to have it hanging over our heads too long.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up and advice. We really appreciate it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh I wasn't knocking CareCredit, just wanted to make sure you were fully informed on how they worked. A lot of times clients completely misunderstood and wound up very unhappy.

Stephanie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I could definitely see how that happens. I mean it was a big help to us. But in all honesty on the website the 0$ interest parts are huge, and all the parts about the high interest rats and the minimum charges is just tiny stuff buried in terms, etc.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 PM

That is so cool! I talked to my mom after hearing about that cause we dont have much money (my rat has a tumor) and she simply said "No" without even considering it