Carina Snake Biter - Nov. 2007 to Aug. 30, 2010 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Carina Snake Biter - Nov. 2007 to Aug. 30, 2010

The Story starts like so many others. An online ad for a “vicious biting rat”…need to get rid of, snake is frightened of it now.

I emailed, and discovered this rat was female and was biting everything and everyone. Every day they took her out of her tank and put her in with the snake…for 2 weeks. She bit the people, she bit the snake, until it was terribly frightened of her. They also told me that it could never be a pet since it was truly vicious and they were VERY hesitant to let me have her as a pet. Finally I convinced them and they were so happy to get rid of this monster plaguing their life, they delivered her to me.

I met them downstairs in my lobby and they practically threw the box at me. I opened it up not knowing what the heck I was getting, and saw these bright black eyes peering up at me. I just scooped her up and kissed her right on the face. The “Monster” was a 5-6 week old black rex berk girly. I popped her on my shoulder and she happily stayed there as I taught the people about pet rats.

Carina Snake Biter had arrived, and feisty that she was she never bit again.

She was a whirlwind as a baby, practically vibrating with energy all the time. I introduced her to Shadow, Otto and Wilbur.

Wilbur was the best Uncle and let the little monster take him down LOL

Sweet old Shadow was her mother figure

Uncle Otto was her friend

Carina became a stocky woolly bear who…would…not…dangle!

Someone has a full mouth

Still…will…not…dangle!

Give me that treat!!

Why do you bother?

My last head hug

I am sure her Godparents SQ and Godmother are both grieving, just as much as I, that this bright little spirit is gone. ((hugs)) to you both…she was a special one.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Lilspaz, all these stories are tugging at my heart strings I'm sorry for your loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Same here. This is so hard. Rest in peace, Carina.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think that's my favorite story yet! I rescued a "viscious biter" once myself. Ended up being one of the best male rats I ever knew. He never once bit in my home. Again, I am very sorry for all the loss you are suffering at this time. Rescuing small animals is a constant, and sometimes thankless job. And the last and best good deed we can do for the animals we love is help them leave the world painlessly and with comfort and love. It's the hardest and noblest task we ever perform for them. I would just like to say as a former animal rescuer and a current animal lover. Thank you for all you have done for all the animals whose lives you've touched.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Newborn Pup

i'm so sorry for your loss! RIP Carina.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Sadly Carina died at home, I got the other 4 to the vet to be pts, but Carina died before I could get her there

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I am sorry. I just assumed because the others had been pts. Don't feel bad though. It can be soo hard to decide the right time. You don't want them to suffer, but you don't want to cut their time short if they still have quality of life. It's a very difficult line to walk.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

RIP little sweetie!
I love the story too, can't believe she didn't get eaten by the snake, she truly was meant to be with you!!
It's just like louna's mama, everyone at the store said "she bites, she's horrible" and she never once bit me and never even tried to. I think ratties can feel if you are going to be nice to them or not. Louna is SO licky and sweet when i take her out and i'm having a bad day. She sure knows how to cheer me up
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

OMG, what an unbelievable and touching story about Carina, the poor girl! I cannot imagine what it would be like to be put in a snake tank for two weeks, every day. That is flat out cruel and I just will never understand the need for some people to use animals as "feeders". It makes me sick to my stomach. I could not believe that Carina had so much spunk as such a youngster to fight off a snake all that time, then to eventually intimidate him. She is so lucky to be alive and what a little brave warrior! Her pictures, and the ones with her and her adopted uncles and auntie were just PRECIOUS. She was one very special little girl. I am so glad you got her. Go Carina, go!

Thanks so much for sharing that and my thoughts are with her. I was really touched.
BTW, I noticed the pics where you were trying to see if her feet would dangle when you held her, but she never let her feet dangle..I thought from what I read in my rat books that rats don't like to have their feet dangling, and they are supposed to have their back feet supported? Do your other rats like dangling their feet? Just curious!
Thanks again for the pictures, I loved them! Rest in Peace Brave Carina.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Dangling is a sign of confidence, trust in their owner and relaxation. I actually dangle my rescue babies from a week or so on, so they realize its not a scary thing. They often just go to sleep

The best danglers are actually foot tuckers...they pull up or "tuck" their little feet up into their bodies.

Maddy was a great dangler as a baby...she was adopted so I don't know if she continues.

I just went and took pics of 2 of my girls just now

Pocky tucks a little, but not for long

Althea doesn't tuck but looks around the room

and the best tucker ever was Yoda Tip him back and the feet came up, put him forward and the feet came down, he tucked while lying on his back. he lives with my wonderful friend now so I see him often.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Those pictures are too cute! When I try to dangle my ratties they try to squirm right out of my fingers!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Those pictures are too cute! When I try to dangle my ratties they try to squirm right out of my fingers!
When it really upsets a rat I don't bother, I support them gently and make sure they feel secure when handled. Carina wasn't frightened she was just always having to GO, so she wouldn't stay still for anything LOLOL

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack