Caring for orphaned baby mice--misc. questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Caring for orphaned baby mice--misc. questions

I found two baby mice in my driveway. They were pretty limp and dehydrated looking, and my driveway is the hangout for my neighbor's cat so assuming the worst for their mother I decided I would look after them. Thanks to the information I found on the mouseranch website's FYI section I have been keeping them fed for more than two days and they appear alright. Nevertheless I have a couple questions I'd like to pose.

For formula I started them on mostly water at with a little goat milk and then gradually increased the percentage of goat milk at each subsequent feeding until it was pure goat milk. I have been stimulating their bellies and genitals in order to make sure they excrete their waste.

My first question is to the color of their poop. When I first found them their wast was hard and dark and has since turned yellow. I read that yellow with dark spots in the normal color of their waste, but I was wondering how hard it should be? At their last feeding their waste looked a little runny to me so fearing they would get dehydrated I added a little extra water to their food. I think this was the right thing to do but am not sure.

My next question is how active should I expect/want them to be in between feedings? Is it a good sign if they squeak and move around a lot, or should they be sleeping mostly, or is neither one normal and both okay?

Thanks so much for your time answering--any info will help put my mind at ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Newborn Pup

Sorry so long........

I was looking for a homemade baby mouse formula here, but this doesn't seem to be active, so I decided to post what I know about orphan fostering-
I have successfully raised orphan squirrels & etc... for many years.
My parents just rescued a cat who slipped outside and brought them back a pinkie mouse.
I did the same thing I had previously done for the others, and so far "Sherman" is thriving.
I had KMR in the can (kitten milk replacement), a small syringe, and the nipple off a small animal feeding bottle which i squeezed onto the tip of the syringe.
I put Sherman in a shoebox with napkins and cotton balls and place it on a towel, and put a heating pad under the towel on low (DO NOT LEAVE ON UNATTENDED!!!!!). Make sure it is not too hot!
I fed Sherman every 2 hours warmed up KMR. It is very sloppy and will take awhile to get used to doing this so don't be discouraged.
After feeding, i take a cotton ball with warm water and cleaned off her face, belly, and bum- very important to rub bum because that is how mom would encourage urination/defecation!
Sherman seems to be a very healthy and happy little girl so far!
07.16.15-11.jpg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Newborn Pup

and I forgot to answer your questions......
Yellow poop is fine, and some will be squirmy (that is how Sherman got her name 'squirmin' Sherman) and some will be calmer. They sleep most of the time, but as they get older they'll sleep less and less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelym View Post
and I forgot to answer your questions......
Yellow poop is fine, and some will be squirmy (that is how Sherman got her name 'squirmin' Sherman) and some will be calmer. They sleep most of the time, but as they get older they'll sleep less and less.
This is so true, your pets are just fine in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
you need to keep your pet happy

Tags
active, mice, orphan, poop, wild