Cat got Maisy and most of the babies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Cat got Maisy and most of the babies

I am so upset right now - my cat is some sort of evil genious and managed to get through the bedroom door and into the cage and got Maisy and all but 4 of the babies, I never realised how sad I would be! Im seriously a little bit heart-broken.

Now I have 4 little orphaned Mice who wont take kitten milk from an eyedropper or a little cat teat sringe and I dont know what to do.

I cant get a good hold on them, I cant get them to open thier mouths unless its to bite at me, and they are so close to being able to care for themselves. I feel awful about this whole thing and if anyone has any advice even just desperate measure Id really like to keep these little guys alive!

Last edited by MissKerynG; 03-11-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 PM

Awwe, Keryn, I am so sorry. I would just keep at them with the eyedropper. They will eat sooner or later, just put a glove on if you are afraid of being bitten and give them a little milk in the corner of their mouth with the dropper. Just keep them hydrated, that is the most important thing. Go on line and google something like, "how to take care of an orphaned mouse" and something should come up for you. Best wishes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Oh NO!! That horrible kitty .
I would keep going at it with the eye dropper and eventually they will take it. They need to get used to not suckling mum. They probably miss her terribly. They will be ok tho if you just stick with it. xxxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM

Poor Maisy and her babies! Keep the remaining guys warm, I also heard that you should gently rub their stomaches with a wet cloth to stimulate their digestive stuff. If they dont take to the syringe or eye dropper, you could try a cheese cloth. Another idea is to find a foster mom, one that already is nursing a litter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Hello Earthling

OMG such an evil cat. You should just keep trying to feed then with the eye dropper. I've heard of some people getting another prego mouse to nurse orphaned ones, but i don't know how well that would work and then you would end up with more babies.

Good luck with the little babies

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM

I suggest going to a pet store that sells feeders, and see if they have a nursing mom, Save a life! take some of the babies that mouse is nursing too and rub the new ones on the foster mom so she is more likly to take them
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys

I Live in New Zealand and there are no snakes allowed in this country ( or gerbils or hamsters!) so we dont have feeder mice, pet mice are really hard to find around here so I dont htink I would be able to find another mama mouse, if I just got another female mouse would she look after them? 2 of the babies will suck the milk off a cloth so Ive been doing that, they are almost 3 weeks old so could I try giving them real food?

Ive been keeping them in the hotwater closet to keep them warm.
I really loved having Maisy around, we had to have a little funeral so Ben could say goodbye - so sad. I cant believe that hapened!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM

No, the female mouse might kill them. Just keep feeding them milk, and introduce water bottle and food.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry...the same thing happened to my sister's mouse/babies many yrs ago.

Just keep feeding them with the syringe and keep them warm.I wouldn't just get any female mouse,because if she is not pregnant...she may have no interest in the young and plus she can't feed them anyway.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 06:30 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

keep giving them milk and put some soft food in as at 3 weeks they should start eating well i think so anyway, its been a while since ive had baby mice

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Yay - The babies are eating normal food and are fine! I put a water feder with milk in thier cage and they drink that when they need it. I also found another one of the babies It ran across the living room floor the next day and I managed to catch it!
Thanks for the help
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:46 PM

thats great! im glad to hear that the babies are doing ok!

Tags
baby mice, pet mice, pet store