Cat Rat help. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cat Rat help.

Hey all I know it been awhile but I need your great advice!

We got 2 new cats yesterday, they are both boys, one is 7months the other is 3 months and I was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to get them used to the girls (rats) and vis-versa.

The rats don't know what to think about the cats yet, they kinda just sit there and watch them, I opened the cage today and the only one that came out was Logan and she just kinda sniffed the younger cat and then went on her day but the other two don't know what to think yet.

As for the cats, the younger one Yoshi thinks their interesting and likes to sniff them and look at them, he was chasing Logan's tail when she was walking around but other then that he hasn't hissed or done anything threatening. Tak, the older cat doesn't seem to like them very much, he was only near them once and he hissed them then went away, he didn't do anything else and he doesn't pay much mind to them while they are in the cage.

So ya, does anyone have any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, I am sure you will get lots of good advice from rat people here who have done cat/rat introductions but the one thing I do know, is, never leave your cats alone or unsupervised around your ratties.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I had two rats and a cat in high school. One day, Max (a kitten at the time) stuck his nose too close to the cage bars, and Ralph bit him right away! So, Max learned right then and there to leave the rats alone! I wouldn't advise purposefully introducing them, because that can stress the rats unnecessarily. It seems that most rat/cat stories are like mine--the cats are big wimps and the rats take control.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well the rats seem to be over the cats, I was letting them out of their cage to run around and my little black kitten jumped up on the table to see what was going on, the rats just went on about their business, climbing, eating, cleaning, climbing, eating, cleaning. So the kitten finally lays down and starts to fall asleep with the rats are going about their business and then Logan tries the climb on him and it scares him so he runs away, about 5 min later he comes back and lays back down and Logan tries to do the same thing and he just kinda moves over.

So I think its going pretty well =)