Chasing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chasing

I am sorry if I am sounding like a broken record and I apologize, but I need help. My baby spiny mice have turned 4 weeks old as of yesterday, well the dad is chasing them and trying to mount his daughters and I dunno if its dominance or what. Its not from lack of space they are in a huge 55 gallon aquarium. What should I do. I separated the dad once and he started biting big holes in his self and when I put him back he stopped and so I am at a loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I do not have experience with spiny mice, but if the father is chasing the females they need to be separated. Mice can get pregnant at a rather young age, and you definitely do not want to deal with multiple litters at once. He should be fine on his own, and if he's not, then I'd suggest taking him to a vet to diagnose the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I took him in today and the vet didnt know either

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I dont know anything about spiny mice either, i think there a bit different then regular mice, but yeah, you should prolly separate him. and maybe try to pay more attention to him? The little bit i have read about them said they really dont like to be alone. i wonder if it would be possible to put him in a small wire cage inside the big tank? or divide it somehow. im not sure. poor little guy. Hopfully someone with more experience with spinys will come along to give you some advice. Where did you get yours from? if you dont mind me asking.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I know you don't want to separate him because of the self-biting but why not get another male to keep him company? Although it's hard because if you wait a few weeks you could house the male babies with him but I don't know if he'll cause too much damage to himself by then .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
I dont know anything about spiny mice either, i think there a bit different then regular mice, but yeah, you should prolly separate him. and maybe try to pay more attention to him? The little bit i have read about them said they really dont like to be alone. i wonder if it would be possible to put him in a small wire cage inside the big tank? or divide it somehow. im not sure. poor little guy. Hopfully someone with more experience with spinys will come along to give you some advice. Where did you get yours from? if you dont mind me asking.
I got them from a breeder here who just didnt want to deal with breeding them anymore, he told me when I first got them they were both females and boy was he wrong lol, they werent really taken care of either they both have missing tails

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I know you don't want to separate him because of the self-biting but why not get another male to keep him company? Although it's hard because if you wait a few weeks you could house the male babies with him but I don't know if he'll cause too much damage to himself by then .
I am quite stuck lol. As far as I know there arent anymore breeders near me and they dont sell them in the 3 pet stores near me. And the babies still have 2 weeks to go till they can fully leave their mother.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry to hear that, that is a tricky situation . You don't have much of a choice but to keep him separate, though, otherwise they'll have more litters.

How often do you let him out? As you know, spinies are intelligent and active rodents. Letting him run around for at least a few hours a day could calm him down . I had a hamster who was a chronic bar chewer. What I did was make sure he couldn't get out of the bath tub and then I set up a play area in it; complete with a sand box, hidden food (I never just gave him food), boxes to climb on, ladders, etc. I kept a small travel cage with a litterbox and water in there, too, in case he needed a break. He would stay in the tub most of the night and believe it or not, he stopped chewing bars.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

great point Stephanie! I have a single female mouse (regular mouse) Who was chewing the bars like crazy, and when i gave her more things to do shes just about stopped completely.
Its extreamly important to keep him separated, even tho its hard on him. The young females getting pregnant would be alot more stressful to them. not to mention you having to deal with all the babies.

My Furry Family
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, that is a tricky situation . You don't have much of a choice but to keep him separate, though, otherwise they'll have more litters.

How often do you let him out? As you know, spinies are intelligent and active rodents. Letting him run around for at least a few hours a day could calm him down . I had a hamster who was a chronic bar chewer. What I did was make sure he couldn't get out of the bath tub and then I set up a play area in it; complete with a sand box, hidden food (I never just gave him food), boxes to climb on, ladders, etc. I kept a small travel cage with a litterbox and water in there, too, in case he needed a break. He would stay in the tub most of the night and believe it or not, he stopped chewing bars.
Thank you! I will try that tonight I have been giving him lots of love every chance I get hes still biting himself and the vet gave my antibiotics to give to him cause one of his bites is infected

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww poor baby! I hope he does better soon!

I know you'll give him lots of kisses and cuddles though!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hopefully. But he should be happy his sons are going to be moving in with him in 4 days

Tags
help spiny mice