Chel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Chel

My fourth rat recently died at a good age. I then bought two female siamese coloured rats from a pet shop. The shop said they were no more than 6 months old and I have had them for about three weeks. One rat is friendly and enjoys handling, but the other hides away and doesn't like being picked up. Once you have her in your hand she wees and poos all over you as though she is scared. Also she won't move around like her cagemate does. I thought she might be pregnant, but she isn't gaining weight. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I think it's just bad socializing.
When you say she won't move around as much, is it when you are looking or near? because she could just be scared. You're going to have to work extra hard to gain her trust, there's a lot of threads about what you can do to help socialize her in here
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Agreed. She is just in new surroundings and more scared and shy than her sister, and she just needs lots of time, patience and love, and she will eventually gain your trust. Almost every pair of rats I read about on the forum, including my own rats that I had, always seem to have one bold and outgoing one and one who is more shy and a bit nervous, especially when young and in a new home. Dustette was right, there are lots of sites on the internet you can look at if you want some assistance with this, but in general, lots of gentle speaking, letting her smell your hands, being gentle with her and giving her time to get used to you and her surroundings, and she will start to relax more. Treats are always a big hit with bonding too, of course! What are your girls' names? I would love to see pictures soon.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
hides, picked up, rat, shy, wee