chewing and knawing problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

chewing and knawing problems

Well, I've had my rats for quite a while now and never had this problem occur... until now.
Unusually, Husky is the problem. He has always been the quietest and never caused any problem, very cuddly and sweet, however when I do/did pick him up he was quite shy and always pooped everywhere because he was scared. This problem does sometimes still props up every now and then so he is probably the rat that does not come out the most, so could he be chewing on things just to get attention?
I had to go out and get a new hammok today because Husky chewed of the other one and the others have been very miserable going two days without one to sleep in. When I put the new one in-which is not the same- it is a ferret hammock he tryed to do the same thing and chew it off again and it's even in a different place so thats not the problem. He chewed my phone charger wire in half (I do cover up everything thats wire, but he has his ways of getting places lol)
and I'm having to be very careful.
All the others dont do this and Husky is only 10 weeks old, are his teeth to long, do they need trimming?- I do get him out as much as I can and he always has free range time as much as the others so whats bought this on? I would not have thought his teeth were to long at his age and I dont want to have to keep replacing everything in their cage because of him, I do put loads of things in their cage for them to chew on, which they do and even give them a special diet once or twice a week that contains food which is very crunchy and solid to try and get their teeth down, so I'm not sure?
Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 05-18-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Maybe get him some chew toys so he can chew on them instead when i got my rats at [email protected] they told me to buy these little wood blocks they sell there and mine love it they chew at day and night maybe this would help a little ?

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Some rats just chew. He might grow out of it when he gets older.

Just put things in there for him to chew and maybe throw some lab blocks into his diet. They work pretty well to keep their teeth down.

Have you looked at his teeth? Do they look too long? Are the teeth growing straight? It is ok if there is a little gap as long as they're straight.

He probably just is well...chewing....rats WILL destroy hammocks....most of mine have holes in them.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

LOL, thanks. We don't have lab blocks here-well I can't find any, but we have rat nuggets which are basically the same thing. I put dog treats in there and these hard rabbit crunchers which they really enjoy! I put cardboard tubes in and bones-not chicken.I geuss I could get some of those chew toys Claire mentioned. They all get chewed, so I will look at his teeth, thanks for your help- maybe he will grow out of it!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Jird Jostler

Yes, cardboard tubes are brilliant for chewing, also cardboard boxes take them a while to destroy. I'm having a problem with my new jird at the moment, she is burrowing everywhere in her cage, it is kinda cute but i cnat se her when i want to.. = s .. Oh well i have ordered her a big burrowing box from ebay, hopfully that will help.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Jird Jostler

*can't

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.

Tags
cardboard box, chew toy, lab block