Chilly & Bella- a VERY sick baby in Oshawa, A horrible Story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Lynds of HH Rat Rescue forwarded me an email today from a woman named Nichol in Oshawa. Poor Lynds was off with her son Cole to the hospital again, as he had croup So I took over today.

Two weeks ago Nichol was out walking her dog and came up on some 8-9 year old kids who looked like they were throwing treats to their rottweiler. But when she got closer she kept hearing a squeak when the treat was thrown, so she thought it was a toy instead, but the dog never dropped them. Closer still to her horror, she saw these kids had a box of baby rats and wer picking them up by th4eir tail and winging them into their dogs mouth who ate them!!!
The woman, an animal-lover and a kind soul, confronted the kids, and got spat on! She grabbed the box and there was only 3 little babies left of which 2 died soon after. Little Chilly (she says she shivers and always seems cold) stayed alive. She heard Chilly "crying" in her sleep and heard that rats have to have friends so she went to a petstore and bought little Bella. Bella right away cuddled up to her new "sister". Chilly got sicker, and Nichol went online, found out a few things to try, called a vet and they told her $90.00 to just see the rat...she had lost her job and couldn't afford that. Her father told her she shouldn't care. She knew she had to do something so she called the petstore and their advice was to give her sharp wack to kill her. Her father told her she was stupid, and she should just put the cage outside and Chilly would die within the hour. Thank the rat gods Nichol refused to listen to these people. She went onto kijiji, and searched for rat rescue, just in case there was such a thing...

With a lot of phone calls, emails and stressful waiting, it is arranged. My brother (who just happens to be going to Toronto tomorrow) will go to Oshawa first and pick up the girls then go to his friends. He will meet me after work, and then I will be off to the vet to pick up Smitty from his appointment then home with all 3.

Poor sick little Chilly

Bella cuddling up to Chilly

Through the back and forth I determined that Chilly was dehydrated so I sent the Homemade Rehydrating Formula to Nichol to try with her. She had to keep shoving the spoon under her mouth and she kept pushing it away :undecided: Finally she got some on her paws, so she licked it off, discovered she liked it and started drinking from the spoon on her own...she drank THREE spoonfuls!

and after that she was feeling a little better

Last edited by lilspaz68; 02-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

The ladies and I (and Smitty) are now home. They are teeny tiny lasses and both have URI's but nothing horrendous at this point..thank the rat gods!
Chilly weighs a whopping 69 grams and little Bella weighs 66 grams.

They have had their pics taken, been dosed with Revo, and gotten their first antibiotics (going to start them on amoxicilin for now and see how they do. I have the stronger abs here, but if I don't need them I won't use them and stick with the pediatric friendly ones for now. Both babies took it right from the syringe as well

Bella who also has a URI...

Chilly
She started off chewing on the pez dispenser, so I went and got some gerber puffs...

What's this?

Can you tell she's a little food-oriented?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Welllll...actually...Bella and Chilly were taking turns sounding horrible but this morning, there's some congestion and noise off and on with Bella but Chilly is really not doing well. I added baytril to her regime as she needs more than amoxicillin at this point. She has rapid breathing, a rough unhealthy fuzzy coat, her body shape looks like a rat who has had resp issues for a long time, and she's "percolating" constantly. She also is living up to her name, she gets very cool quickly, doesn't seem to be able to keep her body temp up.

So more pics of Bella, she's doing great, I am guesstimating her at 4.5 weeks of age. She wanted to play this mornng

She also bruxxes and boggles when she's happy

Chilly's body shape from above

She didn't want to stay out on the shelf, she wanted my lap.

And then her "sister" dived under...and Chilly and she were content.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh my god, that story was so very hard to read....I was almost peeking through my fingers at the post, wondering if I was going to bawl right in my chair. Had I been the one to come across those kids, I would likely be in a jail cell right now for assault on those little monsters.

Bella and Chilly just melt my heart. I especially feel so sorry for Chilly as she is not doing well and those first photos of her, well, she just looked so small and vulnerable and it broke my heart. I want so badly for her to get better and to thrive. Bella seems to be taking excellent care of her as well. Please keep me posted on your precious girls.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.