Cleaning Cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Cleaning Cages

Oh yes, the joy of cleaning time. How often do you guys clean your rat cages and how do you do it? I use vinegar and water, but for you guys that use bedding, do you change the bedding every week? The bedding that I have for my little guy was 30 bucks, which will last me ROUGHLY about 2 or 3 cleanings. Which really adds up! I was just curious as to what other people's cleaning methods were and to maybe steal some ideas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I use Fibercore Eco bedding, which is dust free paper product the the animals love cause its soft and makes awesome nests PLUS! its very cheap I get a huge bag that lasts me 9 cleanings and its $6.99 at petsmart/petco.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Oh wow! I'll look into that.
I have heard of people that have half bedding and half shredded paper mixed together to conserve bedding, I wonder if that would work? If so I have a paper shredder! lol I'd be willing to give that a try, I'm all about saving money!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I use aspen bedding which is really cheap for a HUGE bag! I got my rats in October and the bag of aspen is not even halfway gone yet I use Carefresh for my mice, I heard that it was too dusty for rats, but I sometimes mix it in. If you litter train the rats, then the stink will go down even more with just changing the litter box. I clean my cage weekly and it barely stinks. Usually the thing that stinks most is the hammocks and blankets, so you might need to wash those maybe twice a week or so.

Some people use fleece bedding and I am not sure how much you would have to wash the fleece, but there's another option out there.

I clean the cage with this cleaner I found at Wal-Mart (and now buy at Bed Bath and Beyond) Its $1, animal safe, environmentally safe, not tested on animals, kid safe...blah blah. Its called Holy Cow. It comes in glass and multi-purpose cleaner and it smells REALLY good.
http://www.holycowproducts.com/

Then I use a deodorizing spray found at petsmart.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

I am going to Walmart tomorrow, I think I will pick some of that up!!
Also, How did you start off litter training your rat?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Playful Pup

Cleaning

I have a shelf/cabinet style cage. I use Yesterday's News in the litter boxes and a little Aspen shavings in one shoe box (2 of the young one's are still unsure about the hammocks) Every day or so I just go in with a paper towel with hot water and give it a quick wipe down and knock any poop into the litter box. I have not had a smell yet. It's been a couple weeks and I have not had to wash the hammocks yet, but they are really just being used for the past couple days. Plan on washing them tomorrow.
One of my littlest ones still is not quite sure about the litter box. She sometimes sleeps in it and eats in it but poops everywhere else.

The pooper

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good Luck finding it, its great, but sometimes tricky to find!

All you do is fill the litter box with a different bedding than the rest of the cage. My rats actually just started going in it sometimes by themselves, but (its a bit gross) if you move the poop into the box, they should start using the litter box almost automatically. And then getting them to pee in it is a bit more tricky, but you can rip up strings of toilet paper and then when they pee on it move it to the box.

Oh yeah and sometimes they dig in the box and sleep in it!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
cage cleaning