"Closed" Rattery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

"Closed" Rattery

I've just gotten an e-mail from someone questioning me about the fact that I run a "closed" rattery, meaning that I do not allow potential adopters to come into my home. She seemed very irate, and asked me if I had something to hide.
While I don't feel the need to defend my position on this matter, how exactly does one explain to someone, without sounding offensive, that I operate a closed rattery because of my fear of airbourne illnesses being transferred from you rat, to my rats? Just this past year, Rodent Fest had an outbreak of SDAV and asked that if you bring your rats, you do so at your own risk. I now have several friends who have ratteries who have had start over becuse of an outbreak of this potentially deadly disease?
I don't just want to come right out and say "Because I can't be sure that your rats aren't diseased, and could spread it to mine" somehow, that just seems....harsh I guess. But can't really think of a nicer way to put it!?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Why can't you say that?
If that's the truth...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would tell them the truth, but do so with some articles that document these past outbreaks, and show that it was passed to these ratteries through the visits of potential owners. To be polite, I would also offer to send photos of the rattery itself (so they can see the living conditions of their would-be rats), but if the customers can't accept that response, then they simply do not need to adopt from you.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

I would just be truthful as well.

What about people who don't have rats yet,do you allow them into your home? I am only curious,because what if they didn't have rats and wanted to meet a pair before adopting.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Rodentologist

I would just explain it and leave it at that. If she remains irate, is she really the type of person that you want to have your rats? If someone isn't willing to deal with the precautions to avoid things like sendai, they shouldn't have rats, IMHO.

I don't let people into the rescue fosters to meet animals for a similar reason, with the addition that we also have animals recovering from surgery and acclimating to foster and they really don't need to be treated like a circus attraction.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've taken the time to explain to her, and hope that she understands, if not, there's really nothing that I can do for her. And no, Jenn, you're right, if she can't understand this, I do not want rats going home with her.

Nilla, if people who do not already own rats, I will offer to let them come here, with the stipulation that if they know someone with rodents, they do not visit their homes at least 3 days before comming, I also ask that they not stop to visit any pet stores before comming, and also avoid those for at least a week prior to their visit. They meet with the rats they are interested in on our covered/heated sun room/deck in the back, it's very cozy, so that they can meet their rats. But as a precaution, if they are too young to go to their new home, I don't offer this, because I keep them in quarentine for 14 days after a visit to my house.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

Makes a lot of sense!

Then I think it is a good thing.The only reason I asked,because there used to be a breeder here (she left the island years ago),but she allowed people to come in and see her rats and even though I had my own rats,she always invited me over.I just never heard of a breeder doing that,so I was curious.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could explain it kind of like how hog farmers work No one is allowed in plus full showers between buildings because they can catch things so easily

Humans are a lot like rats and pigs they transfer things to each other easily and it can wipe out the whole lot.

[/CENTER]