Confused about sneezing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Confused about sneezing

I am actually a bit confused now. I got a rat from the pet store I work at. She was sneezing before I got her, but she was checked and didn't apparently have anything wrong with her. I felt more comfortable giving antibiotics (from vet) just in case and I have been doing so for about a week now. The rats are getting antibiotics via syringe by me and in their water. She is still sneezing and I think I heard one of the bigger ones sneezing. The big ones are not in the same cage as the little one. I am not seeing any change... is it possible to sneeze and have nothing wrong? They couldn't find anything wrong with her and the antibiotics were given because I am paranoid and asked. hehe The little girl seems to sneeze more when she is active. I mean, if I am giving two antibiotics for a week, I should at least see some improvement in the sneezing if she was sick, right?

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Brittney; 09-10-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Sometimes they sneeze in a new environment. They are just getting used to the smells. It could also be that the bedding is dusty. I would get it checked out by a vet anyway, just in case.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

She was checked, and nothing was found to be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Was she on pine bedding at your pet store?

My rat sneezed a lot when I took her home, and now she sneezes when she's in a new place or is sniffing things a little too intensely.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Annie still sneezes and he has been here at home for a week. Jack only once in a blue moon.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
Was she on pine bedding at your pet store?

My rat sneezed a lot when I took her home, and now she sneezes when she's in a new place or is sniffing things a little too intensely.
She was on Carefresh. She is now on aspen.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i think you should just wait it out. If it is an infection, it will escalade, otherwise the sneezes will slowly space themselves out. don't worry too much for now!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

*sigh*

It's still happening, but I'm really not noticing that it's happening more or less. Eating habits and activity level seems to be normal.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

stop worrying. My rat sneezes too, and sneezes more anytime I take her someplace she's never been to or if she's really hyper. If you notice it escalades to having the nose bubble or a clicking noise when breathing, then you can start to be worried and take back to the vet!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Your rat most likely has the bacteria Mycoplasma pulmonis which is commonly found in rats..in the future this can lead to respiratory infections such as pneumonia. It is hard to find a rat that doesnt have the bacteria unless it's a lab rat. What happens is that stress weakens the rat's immune system, allowing the bacteria to grow and multiply uncontrolled. So keep giving those antibiotics.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Just an update.... I stopped the antibiotics and haven't heard any sneezing in awhile, so I'm not sure if it was the medicine that helped or it was just the new environment.

Tags
antibiotics, rats, sneezing