Congestion help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congestion help

Okay as I posted, Rat Fink and Figaro have some URI issues. Both are on baytril twice a day and Rat Fink is just amazingly better, has put on weight and everything. Figaro rarely has porphyrin anymore, is eating better and active etc, but I can still hear the congestion when I listen close (and especially when he gets mad at me at medicine time.) They both have a check in appt on the 25th, so they will be going back to the vet to track their progress, but in the mean time does anyone have anything that has worked to relieve congestion?

I've been using a humidifier about a foot from the cage. I've been occassionally steaming him in the bathroom. I've been giving him a small piece of dark chocolate every other day (supposedly opens pathages) and they've been getting lots of love plus a daily mix of vitamin c and some probiotics mixed in their favorite applesauce just to help them heal quicker and not get dragged down by the meds. Like I said Fink is better on all fronts, and Figaro seems to feel better over all, but I just can't seem to beat this congestion. Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are you giving yogurt as a probiotic? A lot of antibiotics go useless when milk products are involved. You have to wait a few hours before giving them.

Also you might need another antibiotic with the baytril. Usually Doxycycline is prescribed.
Do you have any smelly things in the room? A lot of beddings and other things can cause respiratory issues.

*Missy*
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my vet recommended using something like pedisure, i forget the name of it it is for little kids that get sick its like fruit juice with added stuff... not the milk one, it gives them added energy and vitamins and they really like it

You can find it in the little kid part of hyvee or walmart

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No yogurt, it's an actual probiotic that I'm mixing in some applesauce along with vit c. Dairy always makes me nervous with rats.

I'm trying to keep everything smelly out of there. I think I'm doing okay with it. First I moved their cage out in the hall where there's lots of cross ventilation and where they aren't right by all my other animals. In some of my cages I use the cheap bunny food as litter, in some I use carefresh, but in there's I just have fleece everywhere and a litter pan with carefresh. I don't think they're close enough to anyone else's bedding or anything to hurt them, but who knows, they can be pretty sensitive.

I just read in my rat health guide that you can give adult rats a 1.3 mg dose of pseudoephedrine 3 times a day for congestion, but I'm awfully nervous to do that without calling the vet, so I'm going to try to get a hold of him later today.

Actually though, the congestion did seem better today, maybe we're making progress.

But you're right, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we go in for their re-check and end up adding another antibiotic like doxy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are they litter trained?

Fleece is a GREAT alternative but if they're not litter trained it might not be so good because the urine smell can build up in the cage pan and that's just well, gross.
I think what you're doing is okay. IMO a GOOD dustless litter is some kind of eco bedding. You can order the stuff off of Kim's Ark for relatively cheap and it lasts a long time. It's just paper so it'll have to be spot cleaned and taken out at least once a week.
I wouldn't risk it with the tylenol without asking the vet.
Also remember that they need a GOOD round of antibiotics to kick the infection out. Don't be afraid to ask the vet for a minimum of 3 weeks antibiotic and make sure to be on top of giving it to them. They can build up a resistance QUICK and I'm sure you know that once they get a resistance it won't work.
Just make sure to check with the vet that a longer dose is okay and that the resistance won't happen.

*Missy*
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are they litter trained?

Fleece is a GREAT alternative but if they're not litter trained it might not be so good because the urine smell can build up in the cage pan and that's just well, gross.
I think what you're doing is okay. IMO a GOOD dustless litter is some kind of eco bedding. You can order the stuff off of Kim's Ark for relatively cheap and it lasts a long time. It's just paper so it'll have to be spot cleaned and taken out at least once a week.
I wouldn't risk it with the tylenol without asking the vet.
Also remember that they need a GOOD round of antibiotics to kick the infection out. Don't be afraid to ask the vet for a minimum of 3 weeks antibiotic and make sure to be on top of giving it to them. They can build up a resistance QUICK and I'm sure you know that once they get a resistance it won't work.
Just make sure to check with the vet that a longer dose is okay and that the resistance won't happen.

*Missy*
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

They actually are already on fleece. And they are semi-litter trained, so the fleece gets changed often! There are other rats I have that are still on bedding so I guess there could still be dust in the air, who knows?

Anyway they are going to the vet again tomorrow. I'm gonna ask about the decongestant and also get more antibiotics to kick this good. I think we need something stronger or something in combo with the baytril because both boys are better but neither are symptom free and it's been 10 days.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

When my rats were on baytril and doxy the vet extended my prescription to 3 weeks. It seemed to work okay.

(sorry I forgot if I had already posted that, I Just scrolled down..lol)

Anyway did they go to the vet yet? (I must be lazy because I didn't look at the time you posted..hehe)

*Missy*
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah they went back to the vet 2 days ago. I decided to try a different vet. This one gave me stronger baytril and gave me enough to continue the dosage for at least a week after symptoms disappear. The other one was giving me weak diluted stuff and only giving me 10 days at a time. My new vet pretty much said that he didn't know what this other vet's plan was because that small a dosage of baytril was never going to knock it out all together. They've had a few doses now and they do already seem to be a bit better. They really hate the pure baytril though, it tastes gross I think, it sure smells that way. I even tried grape snow cone syrup and it didn't help a bit, but for now most of it's being swallowed so I guess we're ok.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM

How do you know if your rat has congestion?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:03 PM

porphyrin (sp?), lethargy, heavy breathing from the abdomen rather than the chest, wheezing, past that someone else is going to have to jump in. There are some other noises I think and stuff but porphyrin and sneezing are really early signs.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, everything fezzik said and also squeaky or clicky sounds from the lungs.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

By the way, porphyrin is the red discharge that rats get around their eyes and nose if they are sick or stressed out. Don't know if anyone's told you about that yet. It will really freak you out at first if you don't know aobut it because it looks like blood like they're having some sort of terrible hemmorhage, but it's not really blood.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM

By the way Kara I have a really stupid question about that. I won't ask it here. Cause it is only borderline relevant.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You can try anything non dairy if you are giving baytril
baby food will help a lot if they're not taking it willingly. Pedialyte will help if you think they're becoming dehydrated.

*Missy*