Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Constantine's Pics

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mebri123 
#1 ·
i thought id share some more post-op pics of her, she is doing great after her spaying...

See less See more
#8 ·
Amazing how our little girls recover soo easily from a spay. I had 5 done at once my first time and they were playing and exploring when they got home that afternoon. They did get the cramping which I helped relieve with metacam, but within 2 days they were doing just great. :D
Your little girlie is a beauty, agouti bareback?

#9 ·
She looks so good. Is she house broken? Can a rat be house broken? I have always been facinated with them ever since I met this guy with an ex-lab rat. She was the sweetest thing ever! And I don't care what anyone says rats are cute!

#11 ·
Turkeyman said:
She looks healthy and happy. How's she doing after losing her buddy?
she was really quiet for a few days after Skrats passing, but she has Alex to play with and I noticed that Alex wasnt really himself either, he was very close to Skrat, but now he is getting closer to Constantine.....I miss Skrat soo much and still wonder if i could of brought more time by asking the vet to give her painkillers...Constantine recovered well after here surgery, and it was more invasive but she was on painkillers by another vet

#13 · (Edited)
as far as potting training, she goes number two in designated areas, corners she herself has picked and i brought a potty box for, she pees in those to, but she still pee marks a little its doesnt stain, or appear to with the naked eye, and it doesnt smell so i dont mind it, she free roams in my room i have one side wall of dressers that are mine, where i have tv and electronics and she cant get up there, and all my aquarium cords or out of reach...she doesnt chew my furniture, and a spray this bitter stuff to make sure

#14 ·
lilspaz68 said:
Amazing how our little girls recover soo easily from a spay. I had 5 done at once my first time and they were playing and exploring when they got home that afternoon. They did get the cramping which I helped relieve with metacam, but within 2 days they were doing just great. :D
Your little girlie is a beauty, agouti bareback?
well she has two agouti spots on her back, so she almost a bareback...lol:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Skratikans said:
she was really quiet for a few days after Skrats passing, but she has Alex to play with and I noticed that Alex wasnt really himself either, he was very close to Skrat, but now he is getting closer to Constantine.....I miss Skrat soo much and still wonder if i could of brought more time by asking the vet to give her painkillers...Constantine recovered well after here surgery, and it was more invasive but she was on painkillers by another vet
Pain won't kill them at all. Its good to relieve it but I am sure that her immune system just wasn't strong enough. Skrat looked frail in those before pics unfortunately.

With all my surgeries (spays, neuters, tumour removals, tail amp, toe amp, etc) I insist on metacam (which lasts forever in your cupboard) and baytril to prevent infection. You only need to do baytril for 10 days and the metacam for 2-3 days depending on the rat. Just an FYI in the future.

Constantine is what is called a mismarked agouti bareback...she is gorgeous!!! I wanna see pics of her and Alex together :D

#16 ·
will do!

only reason i wonder about that pain medication, is that the vet that did Constantine gave her pain meds, and said that rabbits that didnt get them would stop eating and drinking, so i wondered if that could have been a similar case in my Skrat...i guess im just racking my brain as to why she was fine after the surgery and then just went dowhill...the vet said it could be possible, but now i ll never know for sure...after i neuter my mice, they recover..i guess its just hard to say that it just happened without some kind of explanation with it

is metacam an antibiotic? i believe that Baytril and metacam where used for Constantine's spaying

#17 ·
Skratikans said:
will do!

only reason i wonder about that pain medication, is that the vet that did Constantine gave her pain meds, and said that rabbits that didnt get them would stop eating and drinking, so i wondered if that could have been a similar case in my Skrat...i guess im just racking my brain as to why she was fine after the surgery and then just went dowhill...the vet said it could be possible, but now i ll never know for sure...after i neuter my mice, they recover..i guess its just hard to say that it just happened without some kind of explanation with it

is metacam an antibiotic? i believe that Baytril and metacam where used for Constantine's spaying
Metacam is an NSAID (non-steroidal) painkiller...Its real name is Meloxicam. Just a word of warning, don't ever ever use a steroid with an NSAID like metacam together. It can cause GI bleeding :O

I personally looove metacam because its not just good for pain relief but it also is an anti-inflammatory too. :) I use it for sprains that swell up, after all surgeries for comfort and to keep the tissue swelling down, etc.

Before I knew any better, I had a over 2 year old boy I took in and neutered for serious aggression. I didn't have painkillers or meds (didn't know to ask). I kept asking people online what pain looked like in a neutered boy and was convinced the poor bugger was just hurting. No one mentioned "writhing" in their pain descriptions...he was hunched and fur fluffed and very unhappy and unmoving. I ran him to the vet on Monday morning and he stayed there overnight getting meds and sub-q fluids etc...he died early the next morning. The vet told me he had an underlying respiratory problem that flared up after the surgery. If we had known, we would never have operated on him, but it does happen. I seriously think thats what happened to your girl. There was nothing you could do. :(

#18 ·
i believe that meloxicam is what Constantine had, it was .1ml once a day

how much do you give, and for how long, and also where can you buy it?

have you ever used it on mice?

#19 ·
Skratikans said:
i believe that meloxicam is what Constantine had, it was .1ml once a day

how much do you give, and for how long, and also where can you buy it?

have you ever used it on mice?
You have to get metacam from your vet. It can be used on mice, and my sister has used it for her dog. :)

Lets see...metacam comes in I believe 2 concentrations...0.5 mg/ml or 1.5 mg/ml

I can figure out dosages from the weight of the rats and the concentration of the meds. You aren't supposed to use metacam long term but I did use it for my poor Selene with her painful skin Pyoderma...for months. :( After surgeries I use it for 1-3 days. the rat lets you know. After a spay there is cramping and a girly will do what we call an Owwie stretch...I caught a pic of Aura doing a very good one...after her e-spay. The metacam relieves the discomfort and they stop stretching and sucking in their belly.

I will take a stab at this...
Your vet gave you 1.5 mg/ml concentration of metacam, your girl weighs about 330 grams (guess), so her dose would be .09 ml for accute...sounds right :)

from ratguide.com
Medication Guide: Meloxicam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.