Crazy Mouse? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Crazy Mouse?

Our pregnant Mouse, Jem, is going nuts - I think. She is frantically jetting around the cage, all jerky movements, piling up her floor litter on one side of the cage - the racing around and moving it all to the other side, then staring at me, jumping - running through all the tunnels and repeating.

She has made a nest already (2 actually) and so I dont think she is doing that - has she cracked up? Is this normal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

How pregnant is she?
She could be ready to give birth soon.Piling up the litter/nesting is a sign she will soon give birth.

Otherwise this running around wildly is normal.
It is similar to guinea pigs "popcorning" and is a sign of a healthy,happy mouse.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

She is Golfball sized

When you say pop-corning - that is exact word to describe what she is doing! Im glad that she is happy.

Also (you are so helpful ) she has made a nest in a box that she has to crawl through a pipe to get to, the last bit being straight up - if she has her babies in there could they fall down the hole in the pipe or will she make sure this dosnt happen? There is another nest nox in on the floor of cage too, should I take away the one that is up high, or does she know the best place to have her babies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Part of the Pack

If there's shelves or anywhere where babies could fall down and get hurt, modify the cage so there are none. It will be impossible to keep them from harm once they start to wander, sometimes as early as fuzzy stage.

I find the best 'baby' cage is a 10 gallon tank, because the babies won't escape from the bars and there are no ledges or areas where they can get hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks! i will remove the nest box that is up high, and she will have to make do with the other one.

Our cage dosnt have bars so the babies wont be able to get out thankfully!

Thanks - you guys are so helpful
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Part of the Pack

They won't always nest in boxes so if she can get up high, it's a risk. I'd confine her to a single level at least till the babies are an older hopper in age.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree.
I would confine her to ONE level while she has babies,cause they may fall and get badly hurt.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
carzy