Crossing the border with a rat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Crossing the border with a rat?

hey!
so i live in quebec, canada, but my family lives in NY, USA.
I am wondering if anyone knows if there's a legal way to cross the border with my rat Louna?
A vet certificate maybe?
Have any of you crossed the border with a rat?
By train, car or bus?
I hope some of you know because I can't find the info anywhere :'(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM

I'd think going from Canada to the US wouldn't be a big deal, since rats are legal in the US and Canada. It's just going overseas that is usually the problem...But I've never went over the border with my pets! So I'd wait for more answers. That's just my .02cents.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

I wouldn't think it would a problem.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

i know that tacking public transport like the bus to cross the border, no animals are allowed unless you have a dog because you are blind or handicapped...
I am not sure for the train.. and for the car either.
I can of course have a friend keep louna, but if I can take her with me it's even better! there's loads of cages at my mom's since she does wildlife rescues!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal/dogs.htm

Scroll down, there's a section on small mammals. Looks like there shouldn't be a problem, as long as the animal is legal in the state that you are entering. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Small Mammals and Non-African rodents: Unless they are included in a specific embargo, such as civets, prairie dogs and African rodents, or known to carry disease transmissible to humans, these animals are not covered under CDC regulations. However, state or local regulations may apply. Pet ferrets, for example, are prohibited in California. Any animal known to carry a zoonotic disease is subject to regulation 42CFR71.54. Additionally, animals carrying diseases of risk to domestic or wild animals are subject to regulations from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as they may be considered injurious species.

An FDA-approved rabies vaccine is available for ferrets, although it is not required for importation. CDC advises the use of this vaccine to protect the animal, as well as the owner, from rabies virus that could be acquired within the U.S.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

thank you shannonmarie!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

You can always check with your vet as well they may know and not shure but it would not hurt to get her checked out before hand that way anyone says anyhting you can say nope here is her health record. Although I dont think it would be a problem.
Diamond
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

besides you couls always hide her some how so she was not seen to cross.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
besides you couls always hide her some how so she was not seen to cross.
Huh?
And risc the animal getting euthanised?
Oh yeah, that sounds like a very good idea

Why not just follow the law, as it was pointed out in a previouse post?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Then call the border they would know and find out if you can bring a rat with you, People travel with there pets all over dogs more so and they dont seem to have a problem going acrost a border. BUT cheack with them.
Diamond
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I checked the US costums website and they had a FAQ with hamsters, and it said that if the hamster seems in good health, it can go through.
They have an email question system, so I sent a more precise question on rats, I'll tell you what they answer!
However it would only be possible by car if they say it's ok because the bus company (greyhound) doesn't allow any animals on board , and the train (amtrak) only allows animals for special needs people (maybe the bus does that too).
Diamond I thought about just bringing her, but like chinchi said, it's ridiculous to risk losing her, I can easily get friends to keep her for me, but it's just that I'd rather take her with me if I can so I know she's getting outside time enough!
Since I got robbed i can't afford to get a second rat in case I need to bring both to the vet (i refuse to have pets i can't bring to the vet...) so I'll wait till i can get a part time job that coincides with my school. For now louna has to stay a lone rat so she has to be out of her cage as much as possible to compensate in my eyes, and get lots of attention!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

well let us know. I know that busses and trains only alow special needs animals but they should be able to give you a better idea. I have had problems with people coming in ans steeling our food and all the pets food which shorts us. I buy food for the rodents and mix it to last 3 to 6 months depending on babies or not as in they need more while nurusng the moms do and growing up. I had one trusted friend and he was great but he moved the other friend never came to feed them at all and they need to have bowls filled and water everyother day becuase they dont eat and drink as much but I always put in extra dishes and water and i know i can be gone 3 almost 4 days return the 3rd or 4th day and they are still good. BUt since she screwed me I return only go some were over night. Granted they are fine but my other friend would spend time with them and play with them and she was supose to as well but somethings in life you jsut have to do your self and rely only on your self.
I do hope your alowed to take her with you and if not you have someone to watch her. You should be able to with no problems but it is better to find out then risk losing her.
Diamond
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Adolescent Pup

You will have to check with border control and the state you are crossing into. Regulations in the U.S. vary widely from one state to another. Some have very loose regulations, others have very strict regulations. For example, in California you cannot bring in many plants from other states, and cannot bring ANY produce from other states. They will stop you at the border and take away any produce in your car. There are also strict regulations in California about what animals may cross the borders (for example, ferrets and many other exotics are outlawed in California, while dogs and cats will have little problem crossing borders, and I had no problem bring home two rat girls from Illinois). I can't speak for the regulations in other states, but it's worth checking out.

Tags
border rat