Culling: Should it be done or not? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Culling: Should it be done or not?

First off you should know I am not culling any animals. But I was reading a different thread and there was a huge disscussion there, so I thought it deserved its own thread. This is for rats and mice. I dont own mice, but for rats I can say that I do not think it should be done and plenty of large litter make it. Feel free to post whatever you please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello Earthling

Are you talking about culling animals which are not up to quality (deformed, sickly etc...) or just when there is too many?

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

both. just in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
is a little "special"

Personally, I dont think that people should be breeding in the first place. There are SO many small animals that need homes! The humane society here always has a few rats.

But, if someone does choose to breed, they need to be responsible for what they create. If they cull because they cant place all of their babies, then they should reconsider breeding at all. So basically, I think that culling for convenience is plain wrong.

Disease/deformity I can understand though. If the animal will only have a horrible, painful life, its best to humanely put it down.
Some animals with deformities can still have a great life though. I know that when alot of bearded dragon breeders have a deformed baby, they will give it away or keep it as their own. They can still have very full little lives

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post

But, if someone does choose to breed, they need to be responsible for what they create. If they cull because they cant place all of their babies, then they should reconsider breeding at all. So basically, I think that culling for convenience is plain wrong.
I agree exactly with this. I feel like if you choose to breed you have a responsibility and the same responsibility for all of the animals born into your care.

I know some people cull the males, but you still would have the responsibility to care for the males that you raised. And if nobody wants the males, then the breeder is responsible for them. In my humble opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Rodentologist

IMHO, if you breed it you should be responsible for it for it's entire lifetime, no matter how hard it is to find a home for.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

to me spay and neuter is better than culling. I do think culling is fine if the animal is going to suffer all its life, and honestly i think this about humans as well, i don't want to live my life in pain.

I also think animals that don't produce what meets breed standards shouldn't be bred again and should be spayed or neutered.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
to me spay and neuter is better than culling. I do think culling is fine if the animal is going to suffer all its life, and honestly i think this about humans as well, i don't want to live my life in pain.

I also think animals that don't produce what meets breed standards shouldn't be bred again and should be spayed or neutered.
We call this humane euthanasia.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Hello Earthling

I agree that if you are breeding for the purpose of pet quality animals you are responsible for finding the animals which are healthy and adoptable loving homes.

If you choose to breed (rats, mice or any animal for that matter) you need to get animals which are up to breeding standards so as at limit the chances of deformities etc... and if you do end up with animals which cannot be adopted it is your responsibility to make the descision to either keep the animal yourself or to choose humane euthanasia.

Culling for the sole purpose of "Oh I have too many" in my opinion is garbage. You made the decision to breed and you must face the consequences.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

Remember "culling" does not necessarily mean kill.
Culling can also be spaying/neutering so the animal can not be bred or sold to pet homes only on a spay/neuter contract (this is mainly done in dogs).

But seeing as you stemmed this thread from that other one,I suppose you mean culling in the kill sense.

I do not agree with culling/killing rats and mice because you have "too many".Thats ridiculous.If you are going to be a responsible breeder,then you are responsible for what you bring into this world and if you cannot find homes,then those animals should stay with you.I used to breed many yrs ago and anything I could not sell/find a good home for,I kept.If breeders are simply killing animals because they have "too many" then maybe that breeder should stop breeding...or slow down.

However I am one of the few rat owners who is not against feeders for snakes and if you are humanely culling young for food,then I have no problems with that.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Remember "culling" does not necessarily mean kill.
Culling can also be spaying/neutering so the animal can not be bred or sold to pet homes only on a spay/neuter contract (this is mainly done in dogs).

But seeing as you stemmed this thread from that other one,I suppose you mean culling in the kill sense.

I do not agree with culling/killing rats and mice because you have "too many".Thats ridiculous.If you are going to be a responsible breeder,then you are responsible for what you bring into this world and if you cannot find homes,then those animals should stay with you.I used to breed many yrs ago and anything I could not sell/find a good home for,I kept.If breeders are simply killing animals because they have "too many" then maybe that breeder should stop breeding...or slow down.

However I am one of the few rat owners who is not against feeders for snakes and if you are humanely culling young for food,then I have no problems with that.
if you missed the other thread, it was killing not removing from breeding program by humane methods.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with Vanilla Rat to a point. Animals should not be intentionally brought into the world and then killed for being inconvenient, hard to place, or expensive to keep. That's absurd. Animals who exhibit negative traits should not be bred and should be removed from breeding programs (not killed.) Rats and mice are a natural part of the food chain for snakes and other reptiles. Here's where I need to differ: All reptiles should be raised from hatching to eat frozen/thawed rodents. Otherwise rodents are kept in deplorable conditions until they are bought as feeders in stores, they can potentially spread disease or parasite to the reptiles, their death is terrifying, and they can scratch and bite the reptile. It's bad for everyone all the way around.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
if you missed the other thread, it was killing not removing from breeding program by humane methods.
Yeah I read most of that thread,but only skimmed some of the posts.
And what I gathered is she kills them off because nobody wants males and she doesn't want too many mice...that I don't agree with at all.

If she was using the culled mice to feed a reptile,then I would not have issues.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Yeah I read most of that thread,but only skimmed some of the posts.
And what I gathered is she kills them off because nobody wants males and she doesn't want too many mice...that I don't agree with at all.

If she was using the culled mice to feed a reptile,then I would not have issues.
I would have an issue if they were not euthanized humanely beforehand.

She also culled to make the litters smaller for the mom.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I missed the other thread. I don't keep up with many rat mice threads now that i don't have any...

Messi my dog was culled kind of, he had a hernia so he was neutered at time of fixing the hernia to insure he was not bred ever.

[/CENTER]