curious about owning a mouse? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
It's true that kiln dried isn't that bad but really it can be hard to find. A lot of chin people use kiln dried pine.

My main problem with pine is the DUST. Just like carefresh and pretty much any bedding you are going to find in a petstore. Yesterday News is good stuff and its GREAT for keeping down smell. I personally use eco bedding, and my mice LOVE The stuff. They build little underground cities in that stuff

Anyway to the OP....you can clean the new cage in bleach but make sure it's like 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and rinse WELL. I wouldn't even use enough bleach that you can smell in the water. And I recommend a seed mix or some kind of homemade mix for mice. A lot of lab blocks don't have enough fat in them and mice need the seeds. I fed mine lab blocks for a few months and they pretty much withered away. They got so skinny I HAD to switch to a seed mix for them. Mice do need different diets then rats.

Also those little hamster balls are okay but get the medium sized one not the smallest ones. They have to have room to run at full stride and those small balls just can't let them do that. Same goes for wheels. Just if you let them run around in the balls (they really do love it) make sure they are supervised and only let them do it for a few minutes at a time. You don't want your little mousey to get overheated.
Thats completely understandable, I know that the cage I got had some kind of bedding in it already I can't tell if it has pine in it or not, I have not had the chance to look honestly..but I am going to look everything over tomorrow and see if I should keep or dis guard any of the materials. I also plan on bleach washing out the cage tomorrow as well. So I can let it sit out in the sun and let the bleach bake off and then throughly wash it out with lots and lots of water after that..I actually need to water wash my two 10 gallon tanks soon too.
Though I might have to wait until Friday to clean the tanks and cage since they are in my garage and not easy to get to since we have our Van in there now..due to the fact we are getting our big dead tree cut down soon. I'll keep you all posted on how things go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I'm sure you will do everything okay. Leaving the cage out in the sun is a good idea because it does let it dry really well.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

*Missy*
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
I'm sure you will do everything okay. Leaving the cage out in the sun is a good idea because it does let it dry really well.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Well with the two 10 gallons tanks I just got for fish and crabies, I did that with I have a strict rule of that if I do get a new cage or tank of any kind I always bleach clean them...that goes the same if an animal dies in that space. Just makes sense to me since it gets rid of soo many nasty germs.
I am hoping the cleaning will go smooth and quick and then I will be able to find to lovely female mice to put in the cage to enjoy the company of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharni View Post
You can use pine...it just needs to be kiln dried to be safe (not that i'm entirely convinced that normal pine is as bad as they say either)

Anyway kiln dried it generally accepted by a lot of experienced mouse people as perfectly safe to use for rodents
Kiln dried pine is really hard to find.Actually I have never seen it ever here.But I wouldn't trust it anyway - thats just me tho and worrying.

Every mouse and rat I know of or had that was housed on pine before coming to my care got sick and people I have talked to who housed their rodents on pine with problems.Back in the day before I knew better I used pine and my mice seemed fine on it,but after learning how bad it can be I stopped.After taking in animals housed on pine that had RI's,I will NEVER use it again and warn people of it.

So I am just saying.It is better to say that then tell people to use it and then their animal gets sick.Best just not to risk it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Kiln dried pine is really hard to find.Actually I have never seen it ever here.But I wouldn't trust it anyway - thats just me tho and worrying.

Every mouse and rat I know of or had that was housed on pine before coming to my care got sick and people I have talked to who housed their rodents on pine with problems.Back in the day before I knew better I used pine and my mice seemed fine on it,but after learning how bad it can be I stopped.After taking in animals housed on pine that had RI's,I will NEVER use it again and warn people of it.

So I am just saying.It is better to say that then tell people to use it and then their animal gets sick.Best just not to risk it.

Thats kind of what I was assuming to I just don't like the idea of taking the risk. I was wondering since I am planning on getting some Gueina Pigs too, is there any kind of bedding I can get that I could use with both the mice and the cavies? it would be nice if I could find something in a big quantity that I could use for the both of them save me some time and money for sure!
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

Aspen,Yesterdays News and Carefresh are all safe beddings that can be used for both mice and guinea pigs.

I use the first two,but don't use Carefresh anymore.I had a rat develop an allergy to it,as it can be dusty.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Aspen,Yesterdays News and Carefresh are all safe beddings that can be used for both mice and guinea pigs.

I use the first two,but don't use Carefresh anymore.I had a rat develop an allergy to it,as it can be dusty.
Ok thanks I'll make sure to look for those...hopefully some of my local pet stores will have em..
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am starting to get concerned that the cage I have may not be the best kind too put a mouse or two for that matter in. It looks big enough for mice...but I have been getting advise from local pet store owners saying I should look into a 10 gal. Which I am honestly not sure if I have the space to do any more...since I already have two and just don't have tons of space to put crap on honestly. Also the lid on the thing now...is pretty ****ed lose and since we have a new kitten in the house there is no way I am going to have the mice in somewhere they can possibly escape and get hurt or eaten.
So I am looking into getting a new top for the cage if I can, I am hoping to take the cage in and have it looked and told if I should try to house anything in there or not....someone also said that since it is a plastic cage the mice could try to chew through it..but I find it hard to believe they would do that. Since the sides are pretty much very, very flat just like a glass tank only this one is plastic.

As you can see it is a plastic cage but for the most part it looks big enough to house two mice or at least I thought it did...anyone giving there opinion on the matter will extremely helpful Thank you.
And also you can tell I am going to need to invest in looking for a new water bottle too!
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok I took measurements of the cage and the lid is about 14 X 8 1/2 feet I believe...now I am trying to think of what all I need to do for it. The cage is big enough to house mice...cuz the suggested size I have seen is 2 feet..but I do not like the idea of the cage not having a secure top...with a little baby kitten in the house. If anyone here has any advise I would be very open to listening..I would like to avoid going and getting a new cage since I really doubt I need to anything that drastic..I am going to try and take the cage out to some pet stores and see if they can give me any tips on if I could do anything or not. But if anyone was to give advise here too that would be greatly appreciated.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Do you have the 10 gallon tank? Tanks can work well for mice. The cage you have can also work but I'm worried about the ventilation. You don't have a pic of the top. Mice produce nasty urine so good ventilation is a must.

*Missy*
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 AM
RAT ADDICT

What about a bim cage?
You can those big bins for pretty cheap at Wal-Mart or other stores like that.And it is easy to make a well ventilated cover out of it as well.

* Lisa *

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Do you have the 10 gallon tank? Tanks can work well for mice. The cage you have can also work but I'm worried about the ventilation. You don't have a pic of the top. Mice produce nasty urine so good ventilation is a must.
Oh yeah the cover of this is very well ventilated it has four big round areas that can screw on and off if one wanted to put tubes in it for the mice to play...which I am considering getting a hold of now. And there is kind of door like thing in the middle that slides open to feed and get into the cage. And this has several small holes in it so the cage is very well ventilated. I do have two big 10 gal. tanks but they are being used by other occupants right now
So it would work out best if I could make this tank work...I am pretty sure it can it seems to be a good enough size for a pair of mice...and it seems fine as far as ventilation goes.

Tags
dried pine, female mice, guinea pig, hamster cage, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, lab block, lab blocks, local pet store, male mice, males together, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, seed mix, social animals