Daphne and Maddie had their babies. :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Daphne and Maddie had their babies. :D

I looked in their cages about an hour and a half ago and Daphne had just started going into labor. Shortly after, Maddie started having hers.

Daphne had 13 babies.

Maddie is still having hers.

I'll post some pics a bit later, once they are all cleaned up. Yay, I love babies! So I have around 110 rats right now. O_O 28 are newborns though, and 20 are a month old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Awwww congrats, congrats!

Wow, so many rattys! What a crazy place you have.

Can't wait for pictures!
post #3 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

WOW! Oh my gosh that's a lot of rats! I can't wait for pics. It's really weird how once one starts then the other. Is there something going on there or just coincidence??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Well they both got pregnant on the same day. And today was their due date. I like to have more than one female give birth at around the same time in case one refuses her babies, then there is another mother who can hopefully take them in. I honestly don't know HOW Daphne had that many babies in her, she didn't look big at all. I was guessing maybe 8 at the most, but wow lol. She was only half the size that Maddie was, so I wonder how many Maddie had. I haven't counted Maddies yet, she is inside her house and I don't want to bother her until she's done. Clyde sure is good at making babies... I always have the biggest litters when Clyde is the dad haha.

Here was Maddie a few hours ago, shortly before she went into labor.

post #5 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Part of the Pack

That is such an adorable picture. LOL What a little tubby!

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow! My gosh she was big! Hopefully everything goes smoothly and they both get to keep their own babies
!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM

haha aww, what a round tummy. The look on her face, I think she was ready to get them out!
post #8 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Hello Earthling

Awww fat rattie

What are your going to do with 110 rats??

post #9 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I know, lol, she looked so cute that I had to take a picture. Actually it was my husband who wanted the picture, he loves Maddie the most.

As far as I can tell, everything is going wonderfully. Although I do see one stillborn in Daphne's litter, I'll have to wait to take it out because she is on top of them all right now and I want them to fill up their little bellies.
post #10 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
What are your going to do with 110 rats??
Some are pets, some are breeders, and some will sadly be snake food eventually. It's sad, but my snakes have to eat too. We don't feed live or anything like that. All of our rats are well taken care of and loved regardless of their fate.
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I think it's great that you breed your own snake food rats. Because you KNOW they're treated right the length that they live. As a wildlife rehabber I always says that it's the QUALITY of life over the longevity. A rat could live 3 miserable years with a careless owner, while yours may live up to less than a year but have wonderful care

but 110 seems so much! when you say some are breeders, what does that mean exactly?

and how many rats do your snakes eat? i'm curious because they seem like pretty big snakes, but I know they must not eat often!

but anyways, props to you

and wow that picture is ADORABLE! i can't believe that's considered not big haha now i feel silly thinking my rattie was pregnant!
post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMarie View Post
Some are pets, some are breeders, and some will sadly be snake food eventually. It's sad, but my snakes have to eat too. We don't feed live or anything like that. All of our rats are well taken care of and loved regardless of their fate.
I have no problem with breeding for food. Snakes gotta eat At least they are well treated first

post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
I think it's great that you breed your own snake food rats. Because you KNOW they're treated right the length that they live. As a wildlife rehabber I always says that it's the QUALITY of life over the longevity. A rat could live 3 miserable years with a careless owner, while yours may live up to less than a year but have wonderful care

but 110 seems so much! when you say some are breeders, what does that mean exactly?

and how many rats do your snakes eat? i'm curious because they seem like pretty big snakes, but I know they must not eat often!

but anyways, props to you

and wow that picture is ADORABLE! i can't believe that's considered not big haha now i feel silly thinking my rattie was pregnant!
That's the exact reason we started breeding our own food for the snakes. I didn't want to support any pet store that treats their rats the way that they do. I love all my rats, even though I know some will be snake food, at least I can sleep easy knowing that they never ever suffered in their lives just to feed my snakes. They have huge home made cages, in their own "rat room". We don't skimp on their care just because they are going to be feeders. If one is sick, they go to the vet. When I say they all are pets, I mean it. They aren't ill treated at all. If we couldn't afford it, then we wouldn't do it lol. And we have 3 kids (my step kids) who help with socializing and playing with them every day. I'm kept pretty busy with the amount of pets that we have, not including the rats, lol.

What I meant was, some rats we do not breed at all, they are just my pets. The other adults that we do breed, are also my pets, but they get bred occasionally. Take my rat Bonnie for example, she is so beautiful and has such a wonderful personality....BUT every time that she has had a litter, she has cannibalized her babies, so she is just a pet now lol. We don't put them down when they can't breed anymore, or if they aren't good moms, or if they don't get the girls pregnant, etc. They just become pets and are loved until old age. Also, Like my boy Max, he is a great pet rat, but he "shoots blanks" I think, because he has never gotten anyone pregnant. So he's just my big boy now and not used for breeding. Clyde is my main male breeder, he never fails, and knows what he is doing.

We have 3 snakes right now. One of them eats a medium sized rat once a week because she is under a year old, so she eats a bit more often. The other 2 are 2 years old. One of them eats a medium sized rat every 10 days and the other one eats a Large rat every 10 days. So they eat about 10 rats a month. But the rats need to be pretty big for them to eat, so it takes a while for them to grow to the proper size. The rats that we have right now that will be snake food are still growing to the proper size. Then they will be humanely PTS and then frozen. Our snakes are still young and not full grown, thats why they eat so often. When they are full grown, they will eat 1-2 X-Large male rats every 2 weeks.

Plus, I don't like to over breed my rats at all, they have at least 3 months before they are bred again. And I only breed them 2-3 times each, then they become pets. That's another reason why we have so many rats. You don't want to know how much food we go through, haha.

I hope that clarifies some things. If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask, I don't bite.
post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I used to breed mice for snakes and yea I was sad, but me and my best friend let them live the best life possible. It was really hard for me to feed though Its so sad. I could never watch.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Last edited by CrWoodyspets; 08-06-2009 at 10:01 PM.
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 PM

OMG. THAT STOMACH IS JUST TOO MUCH.
AHH! Can i kiss it?! I would have...XD
God i love belkshire bellies!

Clyde is a pimp and a ladies man.

Last edited by bokuza; 08-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.