Definately pregnant!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Definately pregnant!!!

So my 6 week old mouse is definately pregnant. I feel so bad because she is sooo young. Right now she has her sister with her. Should i keep them together? Should I keep the igloo in there? It's a really small one. Should I cut a box or something bigger in there instead? I'm open to any advice.

Last edited by mittenthemouse; 02-10-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

you can put lots of different material in there because she will be more interested on making a nest than anything else. I think that it would be fine to keep the female in there with her, she will probably help to nurse the other mouse and her babies, but I'm not sure you'll have to look at what some other people put because she could also get a bit protective, towards the other female, and even you.
Good luck!!!
x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i'm confident you can keep the two girls together. they'll help each other with the babies. give them the igloo, it's totally okay. give her lots of nesting material. kleenex box...any box from your recycle bin, toilet paper or paper towel. i agree it is a shame she's prego and so young, but since we can't fix that, congrats on the babies and keep us updated!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I had a mouse that looked exactly like her named Amelia. She had a bunch of babies when she was young too. Her sisters Cleo and Kirby helped her out tremendously. She couldn't have done it by herself.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Jird Jostler

Aww keep us updated.. i cant wait to see some gorgeous mouse baby pics .. =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 AM

Aww It's a shame she is so young, but I'm sure her sister will help her out.

Good luck with the babies =)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I have another question. I'm assuming that she got pregnant by one of her brothers. Is that going to have any affects on the babies? Also is there any special foods I should be feeding her while she is pregnant?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you might, but not really, there has to generally be some serious inbreeding to see such effects
mice should always be separated as soon as they are weaned to prevent future pregnancies

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww, poor little thing. Give her a bit of egg or milkbone to make sure she has enough protein while she is pregnant/nursing.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:09 PM

I had a similar problem a little while ago. The two mice that I bought at a pet store suddenly had babies. I still don't know if only one was pregnant or if they both were. I left my two females together and it worked out wonderfully. One female would nurse the babies and keep them warm while the other would have a break.

I would get her a bigger nest box if you feel the one you have is too small. If she has begun to build a nest in it however, you will have to wait until the babies are older to replace it. I just replaced my old nest box with one that is bigger.

Nesting material is a must. I used alfalfa hay and that shredded fluffy cardboard stuff. I use Yesterday's News for the normal litter. Don't forget to give her extra protein! I used Milkbone dog biskets as I didn't want to have to go after hoarded scrambled egg. We hadn't bonded yet and one of the mice was extremely bitey when she was pregnant. She made me bleed three times!

Good luck on the littly mouselings!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Yea, give her lots of protein. Tofu, boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc

Greens should also be provided such as romaine lettuce.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

ok good...i did give her some scrambled eggs this morning and i just put a little bit of cheese in there. i also put all kinds of different things for her to build a nest. the bedding i have been using is called eco bedding. it's like crinkled up paper or cardboard. i put some aspen in there too and a torn up paper towel so i'm sure she'll be building a nice little nest. i just hope i can get a ride to go pick up my 10 gallon tank before she has the babies. right now she is in a critter keeper
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You actually may want to stay away from the romaine as that may give her diarrhea. Mother rodents are prone to having loose stool anyway. I just gave mine scrambled eggs, dog food, and sunflower seeds. Eco bedding is good. You want to be careful what type of nesting material you use. Paper towels are the best. Any of that fluffy stuff can get tangled around the babies and cause amputation or death.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm getting excited now about the babies!!! I just hope everything goes well for mommy mouse(Lucy). Her belly is getting very big. I was able to put her in a 5 gallon tank which still isn't ideal but better than the critter keeper. She has been exploring all day. I'm so curious as to when she'll have the babies. I wonder what colors they will be? I'll keep you all updated!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I got the girls into the 10 gallon tank yesterday and Lucy has already built a pretty elaborate nest. I can't even see in there at all. I got her a bigger igloo and that is where she has her nest. She has been in there all day. I'm wondering if there are babies in there but I don't want to mess up her nest. I'm so anxious!!!!!

Tags
males together, nesting material