Depressed rattie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Depressed rattie

My rat Panda passed about a week ago...I got home from a friend's house and the air conditioner apparently hadn't been working, and she over heated. I rushed her to a vet, and they did all they could, but she didn't make it. Her cage mate Sphynx is now depressed. I left for a few days, with her in the care of my mother, and when I got back she was terribly skinny. She still is. She's eating and I'm feeding her fattening foods, but I'm getting really worried. Panda had a littler of babies about 4 1/2 weeks before she died, so Sphynx has 6 little girls as companions in there with her, but that doesn't seem to help her any. She moves really slowly, sometimes not at all, and this rat used to NEVER stop moving. She's also a little jumpy. I've been giving her extra attention, and earlier when I reached in the cage to get her, and she bit me. In the year and a half that I've had her, she's never even made a move to bite me...food on my fingers, whatever the issue, she's NEVER bitten me.

Any advice on how to cheer her up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 PM

It sounds like it's more than just depression. It might be a serious health issue. I'd take her to the vet and get her checked out just in case.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I just lost my job...and while I have some interviews lined up, I honestly don't have the kind of cash to go to the vet, not after already paying $75 this month for them to try to save Panda. I know that sounds horrible, I feel disgusting even thinking it, but I don't know WHAT to do. And in the past hour she's started getting a little cold...I think she's going to die. I haven't stopped crying since I got home yesterday. Can ANYONE think of ANYTHING it could be that I could help? Anything at all...I'm already a wreck about Panda, I don't know if I could handle losing Sphynx right now too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet"
Thats all i have to say.
As an owner you have the responsibility of looking after your pet. They can't just get up and walk to the vets like we can with the doc's/hospital. You need to take your pet to a vet ASAP.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I've always been able to afford my pets. I can't help losing my job. But honestly I was mostly trying to figure something out between last night and today because there's only one vet's office that treats rats doesn't have emergency care for whatever reason. I decided I would be taking her to the vet today, and figure something out, and she was dead. And I'm a complete mess over it, she was my baby, so please spare the attitude. I care about my pets more than anything, but I had to be realistic and try to figure out if I could do this. I have jobs lined up, I'm not an idiot. It was just horrid timing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. It is possible she just died of a broken heart. Pets get get attached to family just like people do and sometimes there's nothing we can do to stop it.

As for what Claire said, it was a little harsh but she has a point. I understand that you lost your job and you've spent quite a bit already but have you though about getting a low limit credit card for emergencies? A lot of banks offer them for college students and the acceptance rate is really high. If you're not a college student I'd look into a card anyway. Emergencies come up especially with pets. I'm not lecturing you I'm just giving you some ideas for next time.

Again I'm sorry for you loss. Losing a pet is devastating no matter how small.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I understand that emergencies come up. Usually I have money saved up for this sort of thing...but unfortunately things just stacked up against me. I lost my job so I was kind of living off emergency money, then I had an emergency vet bill, and then another emergency arose. And I was trying so hard to figure out if there was something I could do besides the vet, and then I was finally going...and she dies. And now I feel horrible. I will never, ever be at all unprepared for this again. I understand that it's partially my fault for not bringing her right away, but I sincerely thought it was just depression until last night when things got worse. And then there was nothing I could do until morning, which turned out to be too late. I haven't slept because I was up with her and trying to figure something out and calling the vet to try to catch them as soon as they got there...I just want to make sure no one things I was just being heartless. I loved that rat like she was my child and I feel awful. I will most definitely learn from this, this will never ever happen again. I will always be prepared for the utter worst.

I appreciate your kindness. And I understand where Claire was coming from, though I think sensitivity is not her strong suit, but I just found my baby dead and then come to read that...so needless to say it wasn't what I wanted to hear first thing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry for your losses. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your kindness. And I understand where Claire was coming from, though I think sensitivity is not her strong suit, but I just found my baby dead and then come to read that...so needless to say it wasn't what I wanted to hear first thing.
I was not being mean at all or having a go at you, i am only saying that in my opinion i would do anything i could to help my pets, and im sorry u lost your job, my dad lost his aswell due to problems and we find it hard at times, but i was only telling you that every pet you buy/adopt you should be prepared for anything unexpected.

Im so sorry for your loss, i lost my rat brother over a year ago i had to get him put to sleep due to an illness and it is hard. But please dont judge me.. i was only giving my opinion.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I do understand where you were coming from. I really WAS trying to figure something out, not just looking for the easy way out. And I read your message as the first thing I see after I buried her so it was just...hard. I'm sorry I got so defensive about it. I agree with you, everyone should be prepared and I usually am just things were stacking up against me you know? I just don't want anyone to think I don't care about my rats, or that I would have let her die just to save money. It wasn't about that.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 PM

No its fine.
Shes in a better place now.
Hope you are feeling alrite !

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Playful Pup

I'm sorry for your loss. My first rat, Bella, died a few months ago and although I only had her for a short time, I'd grown so close to her. I think anyone who's ever had a pet can empathize with you. I'm very sorry.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM

im very sorry for your loss. make sure you sanatize your cage ect. if she had something that the babies could catch you want to do all you can to make sure they dont get it.

Tags
depressed skinny