Diego :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Talking Diego :)

As some of you may have read my lil 11 week old fancy boy Diego has got an abcess under his chin........well i have been giving him baytril and bathing it with salt water but it has really been starting to annoy my poor lil man so anyway last night i was bathing it and softened the skin up and i could see the hole from where the vet had injected to syringe some out to see if it was indeed an abcess so.......i got myself a sterile needle and gently pressed on the same hole and to my joy it opened up and i managed to squeeze out all the poison so now my baby is lump free and i am still treating him with the Baytril to clear up the infection but he is so much happier not having that awful big lump under his little head Now all i hope is the baytril does it's job and clears him up a treat! xxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 AM
I am allergic to maths

Awww thats good news, im glad hes happy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

You need to continue to flush the cavity...if its teeny it will heal up within a day or so, if its bigger it could take several days. Pus will still form even after the first day which the flushing takes care of. If you don't flush it will heal up over the bacteria and you'll be doing this again in another month or so.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Thanks! lilspaz i'm not being rude but i do know! I am getting really upset with you just lately......everytime anybody posts anything about rats you always jump in as though you know best and tell us what to do! I have 24 rats and they are all very well looked after! I know what to do when they get poorly and i take them to the vets asap and give them their doses of meds they are supposed to have and provide any extra care at home i can to give them a speedy recovery etc so please dont keep TELLING me what i need to do!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Part of the Pack

wow, that's a surprising thing to say. I for one actually seek out the things lil has to say, and have learned so much from her. You do have a right to fell the way you do, and speak up about it, but I think lil is just caring about rats anyway she can.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

No offense hun but I am at work, ski9mming posts and see this

i managed to squeeze out all the poison so now my baby is lump free and i am still treating him with the Baytril to clear up the infection but he is so much happier not having that awful big lump under his little head Now all i hope is the baytril does it's job and clears him up a treat! xxx

Makes it sound like you won't flush anymore and the pus can easily come back.

I don't know everything, I am still learning like everyone else of course. When you stop learning, you should get out of rats. LOL. I usually skim posts on here, if someone else has answered everything, no point me reiterating, but no one had mentioned flushing, including yourself, so I posted it. Others learn on these posts as well, so its not just for you that I post information.

You can clear up abscesses without abs but the flushing is always a priority.

IF you really don't want me posting in your threads, I won't. That's just fine.

IF anyone has a question, they can PM me. This is actually preferable since I have many rats at home I am nursing right now, I moderate another rat forum and am active on several more.

I hope Diego heals well.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I didnt say i didnt want you to reply to my thread and i wasnt being rude its just the way you say things comes across like you are TELLING people what to do like you are the expert and we know nothing so to speak! I appreciate your input i am just saying i know i need to keep flushing it through for it to heal properly not just with the meds etc i have done a whole lot of research on rats and illnesses etc and even though i keep rats and know quite a lot about them i am still constantly reading up about them and illnesses they get and how to cure them and so on and so fourth so i apologise if you think i was being rude but i did say in my post i wasnt its just the way you come across makes me feel like you are lording it over me and basically saying i dont know what i am doing if that makes sense? xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I am allergic to maths

I agree with cazamps on this one, I read you post and it annoyed me that you didnt 'thats good' or 'im glad hes getting better' you just went straight in and told her what to do! No offence but you could have been a little more considerate and asked a few questions or just slipped it in subtly, I know this sounds wierd coming from someone younger than you but thats the way people feel about this, cazamps made this thread feeling happy that she had managed to do something good for her rat, this thread isnt for advice. I dont know if that makes complete sence but I did my best to explain
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My goodness! lilspaz is posting for the educational benefit of anyone who may be reading this forum. Her information is very helpful and is obviously not meant to be a personal attack. Please everyone take a deep breath and see that we are all looking out for the welfare of the animals here, and it is not a rule that we engage in smalltalk before doing so.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I sneak in posts at work, who knows maybe the boss was coming in, maybe I didn't have time for a *pat, pat* on the head...

Just needed to get the info up that's all since no one mentioned it. I have done this myself, let the abscess heal over without flushing it properly. Some abscesses heal fine, but some come back even worse than before. I was just trying to save you and your boy from that experience, cuz it sucks.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I havn't been on much latley and missed out on the thread where you were saying Diego had a lump, but i wanted to say I'm glad everything cleared up and you are doing a good job!
Luv ya
xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I didn say i wasnt trying to be rude thats just how you cam across and i didnt need to be TOLD what to do with my rat as like you Lilspaz i own quite a few and am very clued up on them especially when it comes to health issues! I didnt want to start a row i just wanted to let you know how i feel because i am not the sort of person that can bite my tongue if something upsets or annoys me ya know?!! x
Thankyou everyone for your well wishes though he is doing just fine!! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I had to bite my tongue a few times when I got advice from well-meaning people in a rush (its all for the rats benefit anyways). Its never meant that the owner is an idiot, its a reminder to others and possibly to the owner. I have known tons of great owners who have never been through an abscess before . A good friend couldn't understand why the abscesses kept recurring, so we went over her treatment step by step and her vet never mentioned flushing. It happens to all of us. I have been through a ton of things with my rescue rats, but there are things I know nothing about and will run to the forums/people have HAVE been through it myself. But you know ALL just like I don't so you don't need any more advice.

Good luck with your rats Cazsamps. I am done with your threads.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Rodentologist

I find the irony here that you're telling lilspaz that she came across as rude. It comes across as extremely rude and ungrateful to treat someone that gave you good and well intentioned advice so poorly, even if you didn't need the advice.

I'm glad that your rat is doing well, I know it's tough when they're sick.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I never said i KNOW ALL and i never said i didnt appreciate your advice i was just saying that in some of your posts you come across quite rude and abrasive and pushy and that i would rather you offered advice than TELL me what to do! Jeez dont bash someone for having an opinion we are ALL entitled to one!

*Carla*
I
my animals!