Difference in rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Question Difference in rats

What is the difference between a dumbo rat and a fancy rat? I went to petsmart today and there was both. My mom isn't a fan of rats, but said that the dumbos were actually really cute. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Dumbo rats have low set ears that are more on the side of the head than on the top. They look more dopey and eeyoreish to me, they are really cute.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Here's a pic of some dumbo rats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thank you! I think they are really cute too, although the ones in the pet store looked the same as the other kind. It must have been bad breeding

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 PM

Probably, or they are just calling them dumbos to make them seem special. The Petco out here does that... calls regular fancy rats Dumbo when they aren't to try to get more people to buy them i suppose.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

or they just didn't change their tags from previous rats they had! And a dumbo shouldn't have a different tag than the fancy because dumbos are fancy rats too, right?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 PM

Dumbos are fancy rats also, they just have a genetic mutation that makes them have larger, lower-set ears. At pet stores they usually have Blue Fancy rats, Fancy Rats (which are usually just black and white), Hairless, Dumbo, Rex coated, etc, in different cages, for different prices. They ask more money for a Blue or Dumbo or Rex than they do for just a regular black and white Fancy rat.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

ahh pet stores will do anything to make money! but i think it's crazy they would charge more for dumbo, or blue.

Mine is pretty bad, but same colored rats are sold for the same price.
We have blue rex, blue dumbo, blue normal coated, siamese dumbo, siamese normal and those are all sold as fancy rats and are the same price.
We have one hairless rat that is one dollar more, because i was told that snakes don't digest fur very well and some snake owners want hairless rats to feed their snakes, but that doesn't make very much profit because they don't end up buying cage, cage accessories, another rat to keep it warm, food or anything.
And then the store breeds the same female with the same male all the time (She's already had 3 litters, and they're continuing, and the litters are always back to back and sometimes more often since they freeze the pinkies) and so it's a black/dark brown female with a siamese male that always gives berkshire or hooded black and white rats.
Those are half the price of the "fancy" blue and dumbos, because they are intended for snake food. But some people get those as pets thankfully (LIKE ME!)

my last day is monday, thank god, i can't take the guilt anymore of not being able to do anything for those rats, or all the other animals in there.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Part of the Pack

All pet rats are fancy rats. Essentially, it just means they're domesticated.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes, I understand that, but at the pet store there were rats in different cages and one said fancy rat and the other said dumbos. They looked the same so i had no clue. I probably would have known if they actually looked the dumbos people have showed me

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

There is no difference in them,aside from the ears.
Dumbos have low-set,rounded ears.I have also seen stupid pet stores advertising dumbos,but they were clearly standard rats.To people who don't know rats well,they would probably be fooled into that!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

This is a good chance to show off my dumbo girl: Fjola.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh the first pic of her is not the greatest...but still,a chance to show my girl off!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Awww, I think there great pics!! Siamese dumbo right?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM

i love dumbo rats. they look so cute. i didn't know the difference either.

Tags
rat