Do mice need wheels? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Do mice need wheels?

I remember my mouse had a wheel in her cage, but do they really need them? Couldn't you keep them occupied with other toys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It isn't nessasary but it's recommended. If you have plenty of other toys they should be fine. Why do you ask, Natalie?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I want a mouse, gerbil, or hamster. Just exploring my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:39 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Mice do fair much better with wheels. They really love being on them! I am sure that they would be fine without one, especially if they have never been on one before, and I do know some mice who rarely, if ever, use the wheels they have. If it's noise you are worried about, then keep in mind there are many plastic wheels that don't make much noise, are easily attachable to cages, and are fairly easy to clean. There are also very small wheels made especially for mice.

And if you do get a wheel, I recommend plastic, as wire wheels have a reputation of being bad for mice due to the possibility of their getting limbs stuck in the slits and hurting themselves.

Good luck researching!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Playful Pup

i think that it is better to have one. it keeps them occupied and exercised
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Playful Pup

Yes, wheels are recommended to help them spend their energy, exercise, cardio-vascular, etc.

A friend of mine had problems with the noise, from constant use of the wheel it eventially started squeaking, ...so as a solution to the problem, he'd built a custom running wheel, it was really neat. He used some of the original wire wheel parts, then customized it. So now, the wheel utilizes ball bearings instead of the static method. and instead of using regular grease, he uses Crisco cooking lard. Works like a charm!! He's one of those self sufficient kind of people, ...how does he come up with ideas for the things that he builds? I'll never know. (lol!)

Just thought I'd share that, figured maybe it will help you out somehow.

Regards,
reeB
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yup, mice love wheels! If you have a wheel, you'll have at least 1 mouse using it (watch my video of mimce running on wheel here http://padfoot.150m.com/Mice%20Running%20On%20Wheel.wmv (right click and save target as)). I do say, buy a normal sized wheel (like for hamsters/gerbils size) cause the small "mice wheel" tends to make the tail of the mouse curl upward. Happened to my Cheddar, I assumed that wheel was ok, and then she had her tail curled up. Doesn't hurts them, but they look weird. The small "mice wheels" are ok for dwarf hamsters only. 8)

Dimaris

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

They are so high energy, I think they really should have a wheel. Rats don't need them but the smaller animals like hammies and mice really love them, and it gives them an outlet for all that energy. I think my hamster would just run around the cage in circles at night if she didn't have a wheel!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

my mice love their wheels they run all the time, sometime all 4 try to get on at once, my wheels squeak a little bit but i grease them with butter!~

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
3 Mice (Chloe, Zoey, Ruby)
2 Hedgies ( Briar and Noah)
Tons of Fish (Miracle, Pete, Champion, Moe, Joe)
Snails (Snailer, and friends)
2 Goats ( Amelia and Sage)
We miss you Ebony, Erin, Gracie, Gerri Rest In Peace
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Thanks for all the info, but my parents are saying no to any animals. Sometimes I just want to kick them for always saying no!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Playful Pup

I'm sorry they said no about animals. maybe they will change their minds - hope so! my kids love having animals around

Rene

Mom of two daughters.
Pets: Sweetheart and Sally the mice and 4 baby mice, Jack the dog, Buttercup and Shadow the cats and Rocky the horse.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I don't think they will. My parents don't like pets much...

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters