do rats get tired? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

do rats get tired?

So Saturday night was the first night i spent away from my kids.

with 5 roommates they were not alone or ignored, i just got to go out about an hour away and ended up spending the night. which i thought may happen so i gave them exercise fun time early in the afternoon instead of at night, ad of course they got to come out and play as people randomly walked past the cages. except for skaven, who is still chicken >.<

i came back the next day and everyone seemed all right except for D'art and Q were extra needy... as in i haven't seen them be that happy to see me ever. it was weird. technically i wasn't gone much longer than a work day and a trip to the gym, but i have never spent the night away from them before. (don't worry this is not a habit)

So later on in the night, i decided to take my favorite Queequeg out for extra play time. he was clearly napping when i came over but wanted outtie. so i let him, up and we went to the rat room and he ran around for an hour or so and finally decided to try the rat wheel. after 5 minutes running on the wheel he stopped and sat down. i freaked out and started thinking 'ohmigod this is it, he's sick, he's dying i shouldn't have left him, what was i thinking' and all kinds of horrible things.

as soon as lay down next to the wheel though he jumped on my head and used me as a playground for the next ten minutes... okay maybe i was over reacting

i few minutes later he was running full tilt on his wheel (did i mention he just learned how to use it) and he did it again. he just stopped and sat down, when i got near him he decided to climb up my body and groom me. i picked him up listened to his cheat, look through his bedding... no red spots, no weird breathing. ok, so i'm watching him extra close, and he does it again, this time i leave him alone. a few minutes later he starts running again, and when he's done he comes over and sits on my lap for 15 mins.

i'm so freakin' paranoid. he seems fine, but that scared the crap outta me... this little butt only ever calms down when i'm holding him or when he's sleeping. he never sits still.

i went home in the middle of the day today to check and see if he was ok, and he was sleeping... not surprising but he woke up when i started talking and started begging to come out and ran around like a crazy person. my friend who was with me because i was going to take him to the vet said he looks fine, and that i'm over reacting and that as we near 5 months and he has marked everywhere his territory of course he would calm down. his sneezing has stopped too. she says we probably give him too many treats and he's just over weight. >.<

i don't know what do you think? he's not under stress, except having mommy gone at night maybe? idk. i may take him to the vet n-e-way just to be sure.

His dad is gonna be so sick of me asking for vet visits for nothing.

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

oh so my question is do rats and mice get tired after running on their wheels, is it like a treadmill for them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Playful Pup

My rats do, They will run for a bit, stop then repeat over and over again lol. I think it's normal cause my girls are healthy except for my albino Mam but all my other girls are perfectly healthy the youngest doesn't run on the wheel because I don't think she knows how lol but she is plenty hyper!

Don't loose hope! Our furry friends are here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

It sounds to me like your little Q is totally fine
Louna runs around everywhere, stops to groom for 5min. Stands still... and then suddenly runs around again. Jumps on me, stays on me 5min... runs around again. Sometimes I put her out on my desk when I'm doing homework, and she runs around the desk, goes in her tent to sleep for 10min, comes back out to explore, licks my hands to get treats, goes back to sleep...
Totally normal!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
It sounds to me like your little Q is totally fine
Louna runs around everywhere, stops to groom for 5min. Stands still... and then suddenly runs around again. Jumps on me, stays on me 5min... runs around again. Sometimes I put her out on my desk when I'm doing homework, and she runs around the desk, goes in her tent to sleep for 10min, comes back out to explore, licks my hands to get treats, goes back to sleep...
Totally normal!
yeah you guys are right i called the vet to save myself the $75.00 visit and she told me to relax especially since he seemed fine now. Sometimes when you see a lot of horror stories on the web about infections, and myco, and broken bones, its easy to get freaked out when they look at you even a little bit funny >.< please excuse my paranoia...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Playful Pup

You are a good mom My ratties never took to the wheel but love their ramble time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

lol, awwww thanks Nom (NOM NOM NOM), so we actually rearranged their cages to put the wheels in them... and all three can't get enough. Quee is acting normal (of course or you would've heard me from there screaming days ago) and he likes it~! we took his maze out for floor time instead so i wouldn't freak out so hard...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yep, I agree with Nom, you are a good mother Destroyah! A ratty mom who never worries or becomes concerned at all is a red flag that they don't care enough.

We have all worried and freaked out and fretted over our babies over every little thing, believe me! Because we love em so much and want them to be healthy and happy.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Official Loofah Tester

http://www.the-rag.com/MM39.jpg

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post

ha ha ha! that's definitely my boys, except they first tried to sleep on top of it! thanks story!

Tags
confused, first night out, rat wheel, vet visit?