Do rats often urine on your hands and everywhere? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Question Do rats often urine on your hands and everywhere?

the websites i look at tell me rats urine on hands i want to know if any of yours do.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

rats don't really urine on your hands, to be honest. Rats do 'mark their terratory' and that is just a few drops, it can also be anywhere, but it does not smell. doe's aswell as bucks do this, but it's mainly the dominate rats and usually the bucks that do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

In my experience, getting peed and pooed on happens a lot at first when you have young skiddish rats that aren't used to you yet and tapers off a lot after they get to know you and become more comfortable. It is true that males will continue to do it more than females, but even males don't do it very often once they're used to being handled a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Will It Ever Change?

my boy does the few-drop-mark when he's out, its only annoying on me but i just wipe it off

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

are femals the good ones to get? what if you have 2 femals will it happen more often?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

not really, like I said, it's mainly the dominate one that marks the most, just to let everyone else know that you belong to them basically. There is not really a better rat, by this I mean between genders, however I think the best for you would be bucks because they are more laid back and easier to handle. If the scent marking is going to bother you then maybe rats are not for you. Doe's are prone to tumours and a lot more hyper and playful, if a doe does come down with a tumour, it will need to be treated which will cost money and take a responsible person to look after her through something like that. So if I were you I'd go for bucks- wether or not they scent mark more or not.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM

I think they can't help little tiny dribbles of wee sometimes. I have to agree with laydeerodentzz about boys being easier to handle. Out of my friends with rats some of the girls have grown tumors, its not very nice. My Eve is a really active girl, she doesn't sit still for long. Brian would potter about for a bit then have a sleep in your jumper, he was lazy!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

both males and females will mark things. all 4 of mine did and the 5th just pooped everywhere but it was because she was scared so much that she never came out of her cage unless i was cleaning it.

Tags
sit still