Do your.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Do your....

little ones use wheels? Any of your rats/mice/rodent use wheels? And if so which kind the complete plastic or wire ones etc? My husband is dead set on our girls using wheels. (he thinks our girls get bored) Any help in this area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

my mice love wheels! my rats wont touch them! i used wire with my mice, but i heard that that is not the best idea cuz they can get there little paws caught. if your girls seem bored try giving them some fun toys and hammocks. are your girls rats? or mice? you can make your own and mouse toys. www.petrat.ca and on the right there are sections you can click on... and it says "make your own" it tells you how to make your own toys, hideboxes, hammocks etc.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

They are rats. Thanks for the site we will try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have a wire mesh wheel for one rat cage, wodent wheel in the other (but they just peed on the wodent wheel... I've since given it to the sugar gliders, who use it constantly). Wire Mesh and plastic comfort wheels in the spiny mice and hamster cages. Some of my rats will use their wheel, while others won't. It all depends on the rat.. one of em has wheel tail, though!

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

One of my ratties uses the wheel. It's a wire mesh one. She runs in it constantly. The other two could care less.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 09:56 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I have always stuck to plastic just cuz of the fact that feet/tails can possibly get stuck between bars in the wire. But its really just a personal preference thing, as the plastic ones are a pain to clean!

I have mice tho, so maybe rats aren't as likely to suffer injuries on a wire due to their bigger size!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Naked Dog Mom

I've had a total of 8 rats in my lifetime, and I could never get any of them to use a wheel. Some of them liked cat toys, though (the little fuzzy mice). Not sure if they liked the catnip or were just being curious. But they loved chewing off the tails and pulling off the ears.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have one rat currently that runs in the wheel. I have a wodent wheel and have had it for many years now. It's a little chewed around the edges, but it still works.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Playful Pup

I have never tried a wheel with Lily, but she sure loves her ball. (once she got used to it) I think the ball is a good option with rats so they can get their exercise and be curious without dissappearing or deciding to chew on un-chewable things. (e.i. cords, pants, pillows, etc.)

Wildlife needs our respect and protection.

Tags
hamster cage, rat cage, spiny mice, sugar glider, sugar gliders, wire mesh