Does my rat have OCD? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Does my rat have OCD?

My girlfriend and I bought some rats back in February, and they had to endure us moving house soon after we got them, unfortunately. Kali (Who has markings very similar to a badger) has been displaying some rather odd behaviour recently. For the past month or so, Kali has been putting her left front paw in her mouth, and turning left about ninty degrees. She only ever does this on their shelf (the cage has two levels), and tends to turn towards the food bowl. She doesn't do it very often, but it's a behaviour I've never seen before. Should I be worried, or does Kali just have OCD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I wouldn't be worried, but if you want to be safe you can take her to the vet and get her checked out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Part of the Pack

My little boy HAS TO fold the corners of the cage padding inward. He just cannot stand corners? Im not sure. We had a fight about it yesterday. I unfolded all the corners and he quickly scampered over and push them back.
I said no and fixed them again and then he grabbed my hand and decided he wasnt getting off till I quit. @[email protected] THIS IS NOT OVER YET!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replies!

Since my first post, we got them some wooden fruit chew things. Kali loves them! Although, her OCD does shine through when you take them out of the cage. One must be placed in the corner, the other three in the food bowl.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Part of the Pack

That's funny. Rats are creatures of habit, mine will pull any and all papers into whatever next they're currently inhabiting. Sometimes they move the papers every fifteen minutes.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito

Tags
bizarre, ocd, strange behaviour