Dominance In Female Rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Dominance In Female Rats

Angel & Juliet are only around 3 months old. What age do rats start figuring out who's dominant? And what should I look for? I have had rats before, but the whole figuring who's the dominant one has always confused me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

I noticed pretty much right after I got my rat Sofia a couple of friends that Sofia was going to be dominant. She was the first to move in so I suppose that's why.

The dominant rat lays where she pleases, gets all the best napping spots in the cage, never gets picked on/beat up by the others, sometimes does the occasional picking on others, ha.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Angel will probably be the dominant one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I noticed that with Klausse and Wolfgang, my two rat brothers, that Wolfgang, the smaller agouti, seemed to always be the dominant one, more outgoing and aggressive but every so often, when he got a bit too big for his britches, his brother Klausse, the bigger, more gentle Russian Blue, would turn around and "give him the business", like a quick slap or nip, as if he was saying, "Look buddy, I am easygoing, but you're pushing my patience so KNOCK IT OFF" and Wolfgang would immediately back away and be a good boy. Ha!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Newborn Pup

My sweet Peppa never has played well with others. I got her a cage-mate to keep her company (named Oreo), while I was at work, and Peppa just bullied her and chased her away from the food dish and water bottle.

I finally had to get another cage for Oreo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Sometimes you can tell at that age, but most times you have to wait til they get older before their status is determined.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack