Don't think things are going to get better. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Don't think things are going to get better.

Well a breeder contacted me this morning saying he had 2 males left and i went to pick them up they are VERY shy and run from you but they are in a different cage.
But i dont think im going to introduce them to novo because novo is just getting worse he runs away when he gets out of his cage and he runs under a cupboard and you cant get him back out again.
He still is acting aggressive when i try and lift him from his CAGE so god knows what will happen in the intro and plus i cant lift him out of the cage to do an intro.
I need to go away and leave the door open.
Im going to keep working with him ( trying to get over my fear of getting bit ) and see if he improves.
His cage is beside the babies.
But he doesnt want to come out or anything unless i go away its as if he wants to be on his own.
I really dont know if i made the right choice by getting these new ones but i was only trying to do a good thing for novo but i dont think im going to be able to intro them anway.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Hun like i said to you last night Novo may just be grumpy because he is lonely! He is prob still grieving for Toto too and is just generally having a grumpy time! I am sure he will take to the new babies with no problem and he will be back to his usual happy and friendly self. You need to get over your fear of him biting you and i really dont think he is doing it on purpose or to hurt you he is obviously just depressed. The longer you leave him to be like it the worse he is gonna get. xxxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree, the worst thing you can do in this situation is keep him isolated. You have to remember that territorial aggression can come from being kept alone. Also just because he's grumpy with you doesn't meen intros won't go well. I have had many rats that were nervous with me and great with other rats or that were great with me and aggressive with other rats. The way they react to people and the way they react to eachother are entirely different parts of their personality. I would be very cautious and observe intros closely as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Did you read my response to your last post about novo?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM

What about using some gloves that can't be bitten through? I mean rub your scent all over them so that he knows that it is still you, but then the fear of him biting you will be gone, because if he does bite you, it will be just the glove. Will or can that work? I know I have done that with hamsters before and it has worked.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol, you don't need gloves. he won't bite you. they're like dogs more than mice or hamsters. don't underestimate their intelligence. he won't bite, he just doesn't know what the heck is going on. be patient, don't ever pull him out of the cage. just let him come to you. don't leave the door open and walk away, you'll make this worse. try leaving the door open and sitting in front of it, always have treats ready. talk to him constantly, even if you don't have words, hum inflections at him. lay your hand in the cage and let him sniff and walk all over it. sometimes, poke a finger up and lightly scratch him for a second. then he'll turn around to see what it was, then you stop scratching and hold there, and he'll sniff you. then he'll either lick you or go back on his merry way. he was sweet and fine before, so he's not going to just turn on you unless he's really sick. just keep him company as much as you can. he's lonely, confused, and now smells new rats. he needs your guidance to show him that you're okay, he's okay, and the new ones are okay. always wash your hands before handling him, in case you smell like the new rats. wait until he's more chill before introducing the scent via your hands. cause that's like having the new rat, right there, and that can spook him since he doesn't seem ready. right now just ignore the intros. focus on the issues at hand, which are bonding more with novo, and bonding with the new ones. take it slow, and set a goal for trying intros in a few weeks

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Awwww...Claire I'm so sorry. I can't believe Novo bit you. I reallyyyyy hope it gets better for you and everything works out in the end.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Will It Ever Change?

he bit you?? what did I miss?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone,
Yes i think hes very excited with the new ones here.
I dont want anyone thinking i rushed into getting these rats for ME and myself they where for my boy to have company, novo is a great rat! hes just lonely and unsure,
Mulder he lets me stroke him and play with him, he does like grab my finger when i play like tickle him its a scare but its not sore.
No he will NOT let me lift him so im not going to force him.
His cage is right beside theres so he can hear and smell them and if he seems to be getting better then he will be intro'd to them!
He has climbed all over the cage they where in and he was fine.
Its just the lifting out of his cage scares and he warns me.
I wont be abandoning my boy because theres new cute babies hes my first priority because they have eachother so he has me!!!
Thanks everyone.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mulder yeah in my other post he bit my hand he was grooming himself and i stuck my hand in to lift him and he striked and grabbed my hand and left me a nasty bite!!!
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/m...are-49558.html
Post^^

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

owee! well, i do hope novo reaches a closer bond with you soon. have you tried wearing a baggy sweater then sticking him in it?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree, I think he might be grumpy because he is all alone. Rats who have buddies are more well-adjusted than those without. I hope he will be able to move in with his new little bros and be happy again.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats