Double Rex Rat:) can you help me with age though?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile Double Rex Rat:) can you help me with age though??

So I was at the petstore a couple days ago, and they had 3 very young rats in a cage. At first glimpse I thought they were hairless, and what's when the person working asked if I needed help. I pointed to them and asked how much they were, how old, the sexes, etc., etc.,... And if they were hairless. Sooo she went to ask someone else of course... There wasn't much of an answer. 2 girls 1 boy, 15 dollars, 'young', and they weren't hairless, but "I dont know what's up with them."
Smart people....
lol.

Sooo of course I bought a female, because I had wanted to get Lola a cagemate.

After getting home and researching a bit, I've figured out she [Cupcake! lol.] is a double rex.

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out with the age, by chance?
Also -- do double rexes grow just as big as normal rats?

So here's a few pictures... I'm hoping someone can guestimate the age of her, from her sitting next to Lola who shoouuuld be full grown.

Thanks for any help.

p.s.
The introduction went AWESOME. Lola immediately began grooming Cupcake, lol! They cuddle together in the box... Lola is very motherly towards her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n620070531_6421955_3657015.jpg (32.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg n620070531_6421956_7703455.jpg (39.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg n620070531_6421958_3155699.jpg (47.7 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 AM

If she says they weren't hairless, maybe they aren't and maybe they had a reaction to something in the shop, bedding, food... it happens with a lot of animals!
Comparing the size to your other adult rat, i'd say she looks about 5 weeks old, thats of course assuming she is a healthy normal sized rat!
Does she have curly whiskers, i'm no expert on hairless rats but if shes hairless or double rex i think they have cury whiskers whereas your ordinary rats are much like cat whiskers, long and straight!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

True genetic hairless are actually pretty rare in pet circles. And you cannot tell if they are true hairless unless you breed them. But the hairless have a LOT of health issues and one being issues with lactation, etc. A phenotypical hairless (looks like) is a nakie with short almost nonexistent whiskers and almost no whiskers around the eyes etc.
I had a lot of breeders say that Bella was a phenotypical hairless but as her cagemate (likely sister) was doublerex she was not a genetic hairless.

Bella

Lisbet (def double rex, and lookit those curly whiskers
)

Double rex can range from a light fuzz all over, to a almost naked rat with just some curly whiskers and fuzz on their nose, etc.
They lactate with no problems

Looking at your baby, I would say she is about 5 weeks...very adorable!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Part of the Pack

I also agree with 5 weeks. congrats on your baby. She's marked pretty nicely, too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone! I think maybe I worded my original post badly. I know that she's not hairless, I know that she's a double rex.. I was just pointing out how little the girl at the petstore knew.

So around 5 weeks, great! Is there any special care then I should be doing, since she is indeed quite young?

Tags
age, double rex, rat