Drowning in rat problems!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Drowning in rat problems!!

Okay so Rat Fink's URI is much better. But now we need more antibiotics because the two boys that were bunking with him have symptoms.

Then last night I go to sleep and I wake up to a scream, a loud one. I go in the rodent room and I find Gretel pinning down Izzy (the patchy hairless) while Izzy is screaming. I pull Izzy out and she has deep gashes all over her belly and her little ear is torn literally in half. It's split from the edge to her head. We got her calmed down and then disinfected everything and put neosporin everywhere. Now she's in her own little cage on fleece and papertowels so I can keep the wounds clean. But oh my God! What is up? They've been together since they were 5 wks old and they've never fought! Everyone was fine a week and a half ago and now it seems like my whole house full of rats has gone to pot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Oh gosh, thats dramatic! Well... rats go through these 'funny' stages once in a while I suppose... but injuries like that! I truley don't know what to say, sorry hun.
I hope everything gets better && hope your feeling okay!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Ooh I really hope that Izzy heals quickly! And they can get along well. That is quite strange that Gretel did that to Izzy. Well hopefully they just had a 'disagreement'. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM
RAT ADDICT

WOW...your not having any luck latey,are you?
I hope things get better for you and your babies!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my rats had that happen before, hairless rats are easy to scratch as you already know, mine somehow had her stomach ripped open as well, i don't know who did it but she healed well and they never fought again, it may have been their cage as well but i couldn't find anyplace that sharp.

I know how scary it is when that happens, i'm sorry you are having so many problems lately

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my rats had that happen before, hairless rats are easy to scratch as you already know, mine somehow had her stomach ripped open as well, i don't know who did it but she healed well and they never fought again, it may have been their cage as well but i couldn't find anyplace that sharp.

I know how scary it is when that happens, i'm sorry you are having so many problems lately

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Well being that Izzy is hairless she will scratch very easily. Maybe putting a stone under the water bottle will help with their nails so if it does happen again it won't be so bad.

Also when my rats get URIs (I've been going through this for awhile because my rats were in my boyfriends room in an attic) I go ahead and treat all of them despite what the vet says. My vet is very good at dosing meds to all my rats even if I don't take them all in. I guess I'm a good judge of weight.
I know you might have a few (I honestly don't know how many rats you have I just know you breed) so if you have rats in the same air space it might be wise to treat them all.

*Missy*
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 AM

It was a very strange experience. Izzy has had enough problems with trying to escape and getting a little scratched up. Nothing serious. They never had any serious problems. Out of the blue a fairly serious attack. Izzy is doing better. She had issues with her eye from an escape attempt and it is getting all nice and clear. Her ear will never be whole but it is healing. Oh boy does she hate treatment. Kara will wash it out with alcohol or peroxide and then rub neosporin on it. She hates it but in all honesty she is better about it than some of ours would be. It must really be making it feel better. Kara has a car full of rats going to the vet today. Hopefully we will be able to get enough antibiotic to treat all the problems anyway.

We are pretty good about getting sick rats out of the airspace of others. The only rooms that don't have rats in them right now is the kitchen where the dogs live. LOL. Great suggestion though cause we know that at least one of the two health issues is a self propelled airborne capable bacteria.

To make matters even worse her husband has a URI that has been driving her nuts and sometimes keeping her awake at night with all the coughing. Kara is a trouper and is going a great job trying to make us all feel better.