Eating Cardboard - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Eating Cardboard

My rats eat cardboard and paper. A lot. They aren't just chewing on it, they actually ingest it. Is this a problem? Usually I make them stop, but if I let them they will sit there eating it for several minutes. How bad is it for them to eat cardboard and paper?

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Playful Pup

I hope thats not a bad thing my Rats do the same thing. I hope They will b ok!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Muffin

Dutchess

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
laugh often

I give my rats& mice cardboard boxes and stuff and they're alright. If the paper contains ink you might want to find out if the ink is soy based or not. Soy based ink is ok

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm pretty sure it's ok in small amounts, I just feel like they eat a lot of it. I guess I'm just wondering how much is too much, and how dangerous is it if they do eat too much? Does anybody know?

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

IF they're chewing it that's one thing. If they're actually eating it you might want to watch how much you give them. The cardboard can make them bloat and it's not a good thing.

Try not to give them too much if they're eating it.

*Missy*
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

^^^
I totally agree with Missy.

My rats only chew it and shred it as far as I know.I never seen them actually eat it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
My rats only chew it and shred it as far as I know.I never seen them actually eat it.
Oh, mine definitely eat it. I feel bad because they love to play with boxes and stuff, but I always end up taking it away so they don't eat too much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
The cardboard can make them bloat and it's not a good thing.
They do occasionally seem bloated. I'm glad to know that it's probably from the cardboard, I would never have thought of that. I will definitely try to keep it away from them now.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
^^^
I totally agree with Missy.

Same here. I hear them shredding all hours in the night

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If they like to shred maybe you should try some paper. Just make sure the ink is okay and it's not like regular white printer paper.

If you want to give them something to sleep in make them hammocks.

If you search around there are some easy things you can make that probably won't involve cardboard.

If they like eating stuff that they chew on I would stay away from plastic as well. Plastic can be much more dangerous then cardboard.

*Missy*
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Good post Missy

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

My rats have a cardboard tube, but they do not even chew on it. I gave them a paper bag and they shredded the end of it and made a tunnel. I have never seen them eating it.
But yes, be careful. If they eat too much of the cardboard they can get bloated. It may even prevent them from going to the bathroom. So just be careful with how much they consume and they should be fine. (My mice ate the paper tubes from toilet paper all the time. They were fine. You just have to make sure they do not eat too much.)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
If they like to shred maybe you should try some paper. Just make sure the ink is okay and it's not like regular white printer paper.

If you want to give them something to sleep in make them hammocks.

If you search around there are some easy things you can make that probably won't involve cardboard.

If they like eating stuff that they chew on I would stay away from plastic as well. Plastic can be much more dangerous then cardboard.
They eat paper too, but they don't eat plastic (they chew it and leave it). Basically I'm just going to have to keep cardboard away from them as much as possible. They eat their bedding too, sometimes, but not too much. Hopefully they won't eat more of it when I cut out their cardboard/paper.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

seriously if they're eating that much stuff I would cut it out completely.

Switch to fleece blankets for bedding if you have to. Eating that much stuff isn't good for them. I had a mouse die that ate too much cardboard.

You can try wooden houses too.

*Missy*
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, they have this nest thingy for a house, and they don't eat that. And I don't keep any cardboard in their cage, but they get to it when they run around the room. I started worrying when I saw just how much they were eating, so now it's all out of reach.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

the real problem with eating the stuff is that it may one day become blocked in their intestines or give them serious constipation..either way just cut it out..how about soft balsa wood? would they eat that was well? if not, then that would be a better alternative

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes