Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ravnos 
#1 ·
I was watching you tube this evening when I chanced across a video of an emil's pouched rat. (he was taking a number two in the toilet! lol) Now I want one. The problem is, I googled the name and I couldn't find anyone who sold them. Would anyone here have any idea of how and where one might find one of these wonderful, adorable little guys? (warning: little is a bit underexagerated...:D )

#2 ·
Whoops! I was resesarching some more about my notorious rat and it seems that I mispelled his name, (just slightly) The name of the rat I am searching for is an Emins rat. I thought about stretching the truth and claiming it was a typo...(being new I didn't want to seem so green, lol) But I decided it was best to be honost. :D You more knowledgable rodent vetrans - try not to laugh at me too much. (and if you do...well, try to hold back on the pointing)

If you haven't seen a emins rat before, wow - they are sooo awesome. I wonder why it is so difficult to find a dealer on the net?

#3 ·
I did a quick search on the name, just to see pics, and I see that they are very very similar to gambian pouched rats....

I think that they have been banned due to the monkey pox... I'm not 100% sure... but that might be the reason why you are not finding any dealer.

Here is a very very old thread from a PTer that had one... I haven't seen that person online in a long long time, though...
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/pics-of-matisse-my-pouched-rattie-31513.html

#4 ·
They do fall under the ban. All species of the genus Cricetomys are included. Which includes Cricetomys emini as well as Cricetomys gambianus.

#7 ·
Thank you so much! So they did fall under those mokey pox ban, I wonder how long it has been in effect? Drat, I really wanted one. You guys have to see the youtube video of emins rats - it's truly amazing. They seem so intelligent! (not that rats aren't any less so- I really hate the negative publicity they give to rats, it is so unfair)

So they are similar to gambian rats. I've heard a couple rumors about the ban, one said that it didn't apply to breeders in the us and another saying that australia also wasn't included. In short I heard it was just africa. I wonder if there are other countries or smaller us dealers who might deal with them.

I'll just have to keep looking, I guess. I'm not one to give up easily - if it takes me a couple of years to get one...I'll do it! lol :D

#8 ·
The ban is only effective in the United States, and has been active since June 2003 and the CDC/FDA say they have no intention of lifting it any time soon. It includes Prairie dogs (Cynomys sp.), tree squirrels (Heliosciurus sp.), rope squirrels (Funisciurus sp.), African dormice (Graphiurus sp.), giant pouched rats (Cricetomys sp.), Brush-tailed porcupines (Atherurus sp.), and striped mice (Hybomys sp.). It bans them from being imported into the country entirely, and restricts them from being transported, sold or traded (it also includes a ban on the public disposal of their remains) in the US. Most of these animals are still readily available throughout Europe and in Canada.

Australian rodents/mammals were not banned, but Australia itself bans the export of almost all of its native species. Most of the Australian species that are common in the US, like sugar gliders, carpet pythons, and bearded dragons, are either actually from New Guinea (the big island north of Australia), or have been captive bred for many generations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.