Emily December 2007 – Aug. 28, 2010 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Emily December 2007 – Aug. 28, 2010

Emily’s battle is over. She was a brave warrior but I decided that she had enough even though she wasn’t really telling me…she was like that.

She came from a member who I thought was a good owner. She needed to rehome all her rats because she was going through a difficult pregnancy and her significant other had just walked out on her.

I offered to take in 5 of her older girls, and Emily was one of them. Sadly 1 of the girls died 4 days after arriving, she, Emily and another girl had terrible untreated URI’s and had been severely neglected…living in bin cages, that were filthy. Her original name was Bridget, and I really tried to call her that but Emily kept popping in my head.

Emily had an attitude from Day 1, and would nip any hands that she felt bothered her with this look on her face like “Why are you bothering me, you degenerate?”…almost a pinched expression like you would imagine a disapproving old lady to look.

She discovered Hammocks.

With Anthea one of her friends

And with Hayla her BFF

Sadly when the Sendai Virus came through, poor Em got very very sick, and a lot of heroic efforts were made to keep her alive..she would stabilize then regress…I ended up keeping her with the other really sick older girls…Carina, Asti, Maline and Jaffa.

Poor Emily is not feeling well

When feeling better she took care of sweet Maline

And then downhill again :/

Finally feeling better (over a month and a half later), gaining weight, coat sleek and smooth, but with a chronic respiratory issue and a growing mammary tumor in her armpit.

This picture fooled everyone into thinking she was sweet…hehehe. Em was not sweet, she always preferred doing things her way and it usually did not include extended patting sessions, and always with a look of disgust on her face. Towards the end though, she gravitated to me for that loving, but just pretended she didn’t like it. LOL Ahhh my little character!!

32 months old is not bad for a neglected girl, who got terribly sick and has been chronically respy since then. Proud of her for being her own inimitable self the whole time, telling newcomers what is what, and never backing down from life.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow, that is a really amazing story! What a great thing to be able to say that she lived so long after having been through such tough times! She was a beautiful girl, and she gives a lot of hope to all those who wish their rats could live that long. RIP, Emily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Official Loofah Tester

She was such a character! You can even see it in the pictures. Even her ears had character with those jaunty little wobbles in them.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

little sweetie!
sorry for your losses these days lilspaz, glad to see the wonderful life you give those sweeties
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Lilspaz, I am so sorry about Emily, what a beautiful spunky girl! Your story about her really made me tear up, and it was so nice to see how much you appreciated her spirit and her attitude. She really was beautiful and what a little warrior. I know she is playing and having a great time right now and looking down at you with love for being such a wonderful Mommy to her. Love to your other girls too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm so sorry for your loss, she looked like a lovely girl. <3

gerbils:Mario&Luigi
bettas:Fred&Gimpy&Billy&Chris&Tony
RIP
mice:Yoshi&Peach&Daisy
bettas:Fyshie I - IX&Syd&Maxxie