Escape Artist - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Escape Artist

I have some sort of terrible virus, and I am so sick and exhausted and pretty doped up. So last night about 3:00 am, my husband wakes me up from a dead sleep saying "Kara, Kara wake up, I think there's an animal in the bedroom." Even in my total delirium it cracked me up that he said it all freaked out like that, like in our house there's no reasonable excuse to have an animal in the bedroom. Anyway so about the third time he nudges me I wake up and turn on the light to see a little white streak run across the room under a pile of laundry.

So I go over, pick the offender up, turn it over, yep a girl, a pew girl (of which we have several). Have you ever tried to identify a pew girl at 3:00 am? It's not easy, so I just ran around the house to find out which cage was missing a pew girl, sure enough it was Lucy, which was the very last cage I checked because Lucy never escapes even when her cagemates dig a way out. In my total exhausted confusion, I was briefly convinced that this wasn't one of my rats, just a stow away. The whole thing was like what a 3 stooges episode would be like if they had pet rats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM

By the way is there some kind of rat rule that when one escapes the other has to hold the fort down. In all of our escapes I don't think we have ever had more than one escape from a cage at a time. We always seem to have one escape and the other, though quite capable of escape, is just sitting peacefully in the cage waiting for us to return her friend. Odd little boogers.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe not with my rats, the rule for mine was to have one in each room and dart away then come running at you like "YOUR MY MOM, COME AND CATCH ME NAH NAH NA NAN NAH"

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ours seem to operate by the lookout system. Like maybe if one rat is still in the cage all will look normal and we just won't think anything about it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

LOL... little cheeky monkeys... I've only had one escape and that was awful, don't know if you remember the thread about it, but the whole thing lasted four days before we got Rayray back, we even got a new sofa because we had to cut of the back of our old one to get Rayray out... Little rascal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We have these little outbreaks periodically. I never worry about it much. They're never hard to find or get a hold of. They always just sorta stop and look at me like "oh hi mommy, look what I did! I'm out!"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

haha, yeah. I don't worry about the thought of my rats getting out because now they have been with me for a while now and all used to me, but Rayray was new to the home, it was actually my mum who said she would be able to hold him and than dropped him to! LOL, mums
Actually, if Rayray did get out again I think he would make it hard for us to get him back still because even when he is upstairs he runs away when it's time to go in like a little kid LOL! My hamster managed to find his way out of my room (he was already loose, won't accept an exercise ball LOL) and I heard him at 1am scambling around behind a cuboard in the other room and when I pulled out the draw he just walked out as if it was anything out of the ordinary and he just looked up at me as if to say "What??" and I picked him up simple as simple could get, carried him back to his cage and that was that. Haha, makes me laugh! Animals are so funny

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Will It Ever Change?

lol that's a great outbreak story! glad you caught her though

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 PM

LOL well her fatal mistake was diving into my dirty clothes pile. It wasn't going to be long before she came out holding her nose anyway. LOL. So it is 3 am I am half asleep and on heavy pain meds and I hears scampering and rattling. I figure out it is in our room and I am a big fella and not the most graceful so me getting up in complete darkness and trying to make my way over to the light would not have been a good idea.