Eye problems. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Eye problems.

Hello everybody!! Its been a very long time since I've made a thread!!
My little Pepper is getting old. He has always had illnesses just popping up all over the place, bless him. Just reasently, I noticed that he has a milk-like covering, well, it's more cloudy than anything, across one of his eyes, and it seems as if he can't see out of it at all; I keep going to pick him up, and if I do it from that side, he almost has a heart attack because he didn't see my hand. I was wandering, is it bothering him? Is there anything I can do about it, or to help it? And what reasons are there for this happening?

The other quick thing I want to ask is; My other rat Arthur (He is a lone rat, he bacame to aggressive to be with other rats, just like his brother Husky, which some of you know about) well, one of his eyes has a very small scab, just uder the eye lid and I don't know how it could have got there, or if it's something to worry about. He doesn't like me touching it, but thats allI can tell you. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot everyone!x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

I thought mabe a picture of Peppers eye would help. This is the only one that you can see his eye, he is the black rat:

It looks sore You can kinda make out the milkiness/cloudiness of it. Rayray keep on grooming him and taking care of him.
xx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 AM

A milky white look or spot indicates cataracts, not uncommon in older rats/animals. If hes having troubles seeing too, id put my money on it.
I suggest you go to the vet soon, if its sore or swollen its possible the cataracts is not natural and could be caused by injury or severe irritation/scratching of the lens.

Sorry honey, however sometimes a cataracts can be removed or a temporary thing created by an infection. If it is an infection, its not likely the cataracts would disappear afterwords, instead it will just cease to grow. The sooner hes looked at the better. There could be a way to save what eyesight he has left.

Im not sure whats wrong with Author, ive never even heard of that before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Cataracts develop on some older rats, for the most part it is nothing, just watch for swelling. A cataract will only be a greyish disk over the pupil and will get bigger over time. An injury or even glaucoma (more serious) will be the whole eye becoming cloudy or whitish/greyish. Definitely vet time.

As for a small scab under the eyelid? Very likely he scratched himself while vigorously grooming or got aggressive with someone and they lashed out while pinned. If it looks sore but not scary then I would pick up human grade eye ointment (no steroids!) and smear some over his eye.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okay thanks for your help! Arthurs scab isn't very serious, and I don't think it's bothering him much, only if I touch it, so I think I'll leave it be.
I'm considering taking Pepper to the vets about his eye, there is no swelling, but it is the whole of the eye that is cloudy.
Thanks again for your help!!
xx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
eye