Eye Problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Eye Problems

My two 2-year-old hooded rats, Mumps and Rubella, have strange scratches on their eyes presenting as white lumps or grazes. Took them to the vet who said they must have scratched them in a fight or on something in the cage and gave me eye drops and antibiotics for them. after a week of this treatment I returned to the vet who said they looked great and I could stop treatment. When I did this the scratches immediately re-appeared so I continued the treatment with what remained of the drops and antibiotics. However every time I try stopping the medication the scratches return. always in the same eyes.

my rats dont really fight and their cage has been cleaned out 3 times since original injuries appeared. I'm wondering if theres perhaps an infection that could be causing their eyes to itch and so they scratch them causing the injuries..?

has anyone else had a similar problem and know how to deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

by stopping and starting medicine, especially antibiotics, you're making the treatment less effective.
Is your vet specialized in small/exotic pets? if not, perhaps seek another opinion.
If the antibiotics are working over a week, you should perhaps consider asking your vet to do a treatment over 2-3 weeks so that you can completely kill all the bacteria and it doesn't regrow after a few days of stopping the meds.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I've only been stopping the medication at weekly intervals - i.e. the time of a full course. the antibiotics were prescribed as preventative only (because the scratches were very fresh and there was no infection) so unless the scratches were caused by a behavioural response to an infection there shouldn't be anything to come back surely? I asked the vet whether it could be an underlying infection and she said no - but I can't find any other explanation. If the problem is still present when I run out of antibiotics to give them I will of course return to the vet, I was just coming on here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

You definitely ruled out cataracts and glaucoma? These are pretty common with older rats.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

yeah beacuse they go away with eye drops. they're back in earnest now I've run out of antibiotics. will ring vet now. Anyone know of any conditions that lead to very itchy eyes?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyC View Post
yeah beacuse they go away with eye drops. they're back in earnest now I've run out of antibiotics. will ring vet now. Anyone know of any conditions that lead to very itchy eyes?
take a picture.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

HA! problem solved, and it all comes down to a stupid vet. ok so took them back to the vet yesterday (diff vet) and she said "those aren't lesions, there's bedding stuck in their eyes." turns out that older rats can sometimes have slightly sticky corneas which can lead the fluffy kind of pet bedding to stick to their eyes causing white spots that look like lesions. so the stupid first vet who told me "this eye is practically ruptured" and charged me loads for antibiotics etc. was an IDIOT and I've been worrying for nothing.

PHEW!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyC View Post
HA! problem solved, and it all comes down to a stupid vet. ok so took them back to the vet yesterday (diff vet) and she said "those aren't lesions, there's bedding stuck in their eyes." turns out that older rats can sometimes have slightly sticky corneas which can lead the fluffy kind of pet bedding to stick to their eyes causing white spots that look like lesions. so the stupid first vet who told me "this eye is practically ruptured" and charged me loads for antibiotics etc. was an IDIOT and I've been worrying for nothing.

PHEW!
I have a young girl who has tear duct issues and she gets stuff underneath her 3rd eye...I have to have her put right now and then they remove it...$60 a pop, every few months. LOLOL...I love my Lilith.

Glad its resolved. The drops must have washed it off for them.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
rat eye problems