Faith – Feb 2007 to August 11, 2009 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Faith – Feb 2007 to August 11, 2009

So many people “met” Faith, in the whole month she was with us, who might not forget her any time soon. To recap for the people who didn’t, Faith lived most of her life in a hamster cage, never getting out, never being handled, with a poor diet and sometimes no food at all. She lived with her mom until about 5 months ago when her mom died, then she was all alone…in that hamster cage. She had “sores that never healed”. I had a horrible suspicion it was much more than scratches, infected or not, and when LA was looking for someone to take in the wee old lady, I jumped on it.

She had pyoderma, and had a terrible infestation of lice and had horrible scabs all over. We began to fight her illnesses and to get to know each other. She was a brave, incredible little girl. She made my heart ache in so many ways, but this little thing she didn’t look back once. It was all looking forward and happy to have the little things we take for granted. Freedom, good food, and her first hammock, etc.

Once she got on baytril to stop the pyoderma infection, and metacam for the pain she became a bright little soul. Of course we had ups and downs, but for the most part she was soo inspiring in her fortitude and happiness.

In the past month we have grown to care about each other so much. I learned to respect her wishes not to be held and cuddled, but she would allow some stroking, since touching = pain/discomfort to her for so long, I understood. On her last night, she came to me and cuddled up and let me stroke her for ˝ an hour…it was soo wonderful and also bittersweet as I knew it was goodbye.

Goodbye my little Warrior. *sniff*

Arriving on July 12th

Tasty! (July 13)

Jul 14 – her new snuggly home away from home

MY Coffee!

July 22 - The bright expression I fell for.

July 28 - Allowing me to rub her head

July 30 – I thought we had turned the corner

August 2 – Having a nap

Saying thank you.

I am going to seriously miss this girl.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Oh gosh that is so sad that she had to go through that! RIP Faith! I can't believe someone would keep a rat in those conditions and not do something to fix it when she is so obviously sick! Poor little thing. <3
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh my gosh this is making me tear up. RIP Faith, what a trooper!

I'm so sorry for your loss, at least you gave her the best possible ending to life and that's what matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

RIP faith! I'm so glad you got to make her live a wonderful last month!
Lucky rat to have crossed your path, and lucky you to have crossed hers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's so sad. Thank you for doing the work that you do and trying to save them all.

RIP Faith

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Oh my. What a strong girl...it amazes me what animals can go through, yet still come out to be loving, kind pets. I'm sure a lot of humans would go through that and never blossom like she did.

She had a good mommy looking after her.

R.I.P Faith
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, you gave her a wonderful ending to a painful life. I am sure she was grateful
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM

that makes me so sad. at least the end was better then the beginning.