False Pregnancy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

False Pregnancy?

I think my mouse might be going thru a false pregnancy.She hasn't been around a male in weeks and since she is my only mouse at the moment,she cannot be pregnant.

I had a mouse go thru a false pregnancy before and even went into a false labor and died.I didn't have any males at that time either.Misty seems to be getting bigger and not from eating,as she appears to be getting the pear shaped belly.I felt her today and I swore I felt babies...but thats impossible.

She is not sick,is perfectly healthy and acting normal..except for nesting more and stretching alot more.I am going to keep my eye on her tho,and if I see anything slightly wrong,she is going to the vet.

However I am not familar with false pregnancies in mice...I only ever had ONE and that was years ago.So does anyone have info on mouse false pregnancies? It can't be common,as I have owned literally hundreds of mice over the yrs (since 1998) and only had the one go thru it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hrmm that's odd...there's a biological response in rodents and other mammals called pseudopregnancy...which occurs when no males are around or females are around a bunch of other females. It evolved to prevent the wasting of eggs...so by prolonging the current menstruation and keeping the egg in and "faking" pregnancy...they can wait till a real male actually does come around to mate. I'm surprised though...your mouse is alone and I was under the impression that pseudopregnancy just involves the egg implanting, developing for a little, then aborting. I dunno...maybe the pseudopregnancy follows all the way through and the mouse has to exhibit all the stages of pregnancy to childbirth? Well, hopefully the false pregnancy ends soon...might be something totally unrelated, but I guess to answer your question, there is such a thing as false pregnancy in mice.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:15 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Maybe a wild mouse got in, lmao!! When I was at 118 a mouse that was living in the house was up with the rats, it was funny b/c he knew there was females but they were higher up of of his reach!! I agree with the first post, it probably is a pseudo pregnancy!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hehe btw, the biological way to stop it, if it is pseudopregnancy, is to get a male mouse nearby...like putting it in another cage and placing the cages next to each other. She'll abort because there are male pheromones about. Before your pets were taken from you, did you have male mice? Maybe the recent absence of those are causing this?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hasn't that been known to kill and animal if not taken care of right away? I'm not positive but I think I've heard of it before.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is she in a cage or a tank? I've heard of wild male mice sneaking into cages and getting females pregnant. It's why the mouse breeders I know always say to house mice in bins or tanks.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Fez,yes I did have a male not long ago.

Misty is in a cage with bars because I dislike housing rodents in tanks or bins.I only use bins when I have baby mice.Anyway there is always that possibility that a wild mouse got in,but I am 100% sure we do not have wild mice here!

I checked on her today and her belly is still getting bigger,it looks bigger today then last night.

Like I said I am not familar with fasle pregnancies...however I am starting to wonder if maybe she is pregnant,from either a wild mouse (even tho thats unlikley...we don't have wild mice,but one could of easily got in that I don't know about) and well it has been a couple of weeks since my male was killed,but they were not housed together...but feeling Misty's belly,it feels like there is something in there.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Part of the Pack

Immaculate conception?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Will It Ever Change?

hahahaha righto!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

You should watch her very carefully, from the simptoms that you said there is a chance that her swollen belly could be a tumor or an absess. Tumors or absesses usually do not cause the rat any noticable health problems except for the lump. Watch her closely over the next weeks and if the lump dosn't go down you should tak her to the vets.
Bunnybreeder
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

OKAY OKAY I think i figured out your problem..

She's Asexual!!!!!

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
OKAY OKAY I think i figured out your problem..

She's Asexual!!!!!
LOL!!!!

I forgot to come back and update you guys,as there was too much other BS going on!

Misty is doing wonderfully.She has lost the belly and is a normal weight,well she still has abit of tub to her,but not like it was.She is as active as ever and back to herself! I will have to get some new pics of her up!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

Awww
Thats great!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oh good!!! im so glad she's better now! *dances*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Me too...because well,I was kind of afraid that something was terribly wrong and was planning on a vet trip,but she has went down to a normal weight and there are no signs of illness.It must of been that thing that Fez mentioned,pseudopregnancy.I dunno...but she is good and I am going to post some new pics of her tonight or tommorrow!

* Lisa *

Tags
baby mice, male mice