Fat Mice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Fat Mice?

A friend of mine came over to see if I wanted a long haired mouse, well of course I did! But she said my mice were fat? Uhmm having never owned mice before I don't really know if this is true or not?
I'll try to get pictures of the "little porkers" as she calls them later.
Just out of curiousity, what do "not fat" mice look like?

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

From my experience with mice years ago, a "not fat" mouse just looks trim, but still healthy. Mice and hamsters put on weight VERY easily, especially if their diet is largely seed-based. If your mice are eating lots of seeds, you might want to cut back on that in favor of lab blocks. (And there are even lab blocks for different diets, too.) It's been years since I've had mice, though, so I couldn't recommend any brand names.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

fat mice? I would have to see pictures to know if your mice are fat. But its true, rodent can put on weight very fast if you don't want what they eat and how much.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My Mice Athena, Andromeda, Hera & Medusa

Andromeda (two black spots on face) and Medusa (one black spot on face) seem to be the largest. Hera is smaller, she's the broken agouti, and Athena the smallest, the black. And in the one shot is their food, it's just "generic" mouse food mix. So perhaps I should switch them to a block diet!

~W.C. Fields
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

your mice seem fine to me. The first pic with the mouse on the left looks a little chubby but the others seem fine, at least to me.

I mix seed mix and blocks for mice, hamsters and gerbils.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

How old are they? Older meeces do gain more weight, but if they are decently young, they are a bit chubby. Yeah I would switch to a lab block based diet rather than a seed mix one.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not certain how old they are, they were a bit smaller when I got them, and so I assume that they were young when I got them. I got them from a pet store!

I don't suppose all the other goodies I give them are helping either! I'm ashamed to admit this, but I feed my mice (and rats) all sorts of "junk food"...Hot dogs, chicken nuggets, crackers, grilled cheese. Generally whatever the baby doesn't eat.

But on Saturday I'm getting another mouse, a long haired one I think.

My little porkers to like to run on their wheel, a lot!

~W.C. Fields
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, I'd definitely stop giving them table scraps. What you can give them, though, is a serving of vegetables every day or several times a week. They don't look too big, but I would definitely switch to lab blocks and cut back on the extra "people" food.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Mice need less protein than rats and that is a lot of proteins. It will affect their kidneys later on and reduce their life span. I would definitely add more veggies to their diet

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok...no table scraps!
Vinnie is going to hate hearing that!!!!
I got them lab blocks today, and gave them a few grapes, they liked them!
The lab blocks are made by FM Brown. My rats don't really enjoy the Oxbow, they don't mind it, but they don't not eat it either! I guess they figure something is better than nothing!

~W.C. Fields
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You have such cute mice! They look healthy to me.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

TY, they are just fun to watch!

My friend who was supposed to bring me a long haired mouse, never showed up! I'm sad!

~W.C. Fields
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

They don't look too big to me, I mean I have had some really chubby girls! One favorite of my old mice was broccoli! I bet your would love it! Good Luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have a HUGE brindle boy
Sorry your friend didnt show up with the mouse

1 Amazing Husband
1 Beautiful daughter
3 dogs, 2 Ferrets, 1 cat, 2 Doves 30+ fancy mice,4 turtles,
1 house bunny,55 gallon fish tank
& rescues

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

It's Ok, she e-mailed me, her Mom was recently dx with N-H Lymphoma, and Chemo has been really hard on her, so she said she'll drop by when she can. Being a N-H survivor myself, I know what she's going through.
My Mousers LOVE Broccoli-and strawberry's!

~W.C. Fields

Tags
mice