Fat mouse? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Fat mouse?

My mouse Maya is really fat, she is 100% for sure not pregnant, but she looks as if she could be. She doesn't run very much on her wheel and I don't know how to keep her weight under control. I need some kind of way to exercise her. I do have a ball for her, but i don't put her in very much because I've heard that they are bad and have bad ventilation. Any suggestions? I will try to get pictures later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Its very hard to tell in these pictures, but she is a fat mouse!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

There are a couple of things that rat owners have recommended on other websites that might also work for mice. First, and I'm sure you already do this, make sure you are only feeding foods that are very low in fat as you try to make them lose weight. Supplement their dry diet with fresh fruit and vegetables, like curly kale (again, this is normally for rats, but might be worth a try?). You might also try scatter feeding, which makes them work a little harder for their food. (So instead of putting all their dry mix in a bowl, spread it out around the cage and in/under their bedding, so they have to run around and find it. Or you could start withholding food for a few hours every day. This won't hurt them, and for rats at least it has been shown to increase life expectancy.

Hope this helps--good luck!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

I need more help!! They are still really fat! They run on their wheel but look like they have eaten a golf ball! I am wondering if the food I am feeding is too fatty for them? Does anyone recommend a mouse diet or the kind that you use?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

I'll bump this up for you hun

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
the rodent lover<3

Well I feed my boys nutriphase

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks Angelica, it looks like pretty good food, I am just wondering about the seeds and if it is healthier than what I have

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I know that in general, seeds are pretty high in fat content, which is why rats should not have them as part of their daily diet. You might try removing some of the seeds from their normal food, or even look online to see if there are some homemade mixes that people have used for their mice, as there are for rats.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

I use a hamster mix, it's all that is really available over here for mice, nowhere seems to care much about mice! I give Winston extra treats such as fresh peppers and sweetcorn which he loves. You could try him on celery but I would peel it first to get the stringy bits off I doubt mice can digest such fibrous material. I limit Winston to only one or two sunflower seeds a day and I hide them in his maze so he has to run around in there to find them. If your little one won't use her wheel you could try making her a big maze to explore in a cardboard box? Winston spends hours running around in there and it is keeping him lean.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

You can also switch to blocks or cubes for them and give them a little seed mix at a time. Aslo mice can have hthyrod problems after a while or when older. Try periket seen as in a little hand full for them as a little virety and them limit sunflower seeds the black ones are not as bad as the black and white ones. but give them some blocks or cubes as they call them. Also take them out and have them run around outside. I ushally take my wheels out of the mouse cage when were asleep or not home so that way they dont get stuck or hurt while no one is hear and and then place it back in so they dont get bord. If they have a wheel at all times like my male rats do they get bord so I take it out for a few hours or for a day or 2 and then they almost wear them selves out playing with it. Try hanging stuff like make a tight rope acrost the top but leave peaces down on both sides so they can climb up or down and more toys for extra stimulation.
Some times older mice can get bord of the same things even if moved around like you do your living room or bedroom for a diffrent look. They can get bord and even though you think that they are using it it may not be as much as you think. Try diffrent toys and more out play like the bath tub is great for mice mine love it becuase all of them can be in it (come to think of it I never took tube play pictures. lol I take pics of every thing eals, well theres a 1st for everything.) But try that 1st and put stuff in for them to play with and like little peace or fruits or veggies hide here and there as a special treat to make it more fun. You could attually set up and agility course for mice in the bathtube and while giving them excersize trian them. But try more excerzise 1st with a slow switch of the diet or try one or the other.
Daimond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

A good quality lab block should be the basis of their diet. Mazuri is generally considered a good brand and it's easily available. You can easily get it at Petco/Petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754059

On top of the blocks you can give limited amounts of seed mix daily, plus whatever other healthy treats you want to give. A wheel is great for mice, but I am not a fan of balls for small animals. You can do things like setting up a maze or a jungle gym for them to play on and get exercise.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I make my own food.

White Millet is very high in fat, red millet is a much better choice. All nuts are very high in fat, as well as sunflower seeds(which aren't good on a daily basis anyway), and spray millet is also high in fat. Apparently oats are also high in fat. Wheat seeds also apparently aren't very good for them either.

My home-made mixture goes something like this:

Bird seed mix(rape seed, canary grass seed, flax seed, white millet and red millet)
Quaker Oats
Brown Rice
Dog Kibble
Lentils

That's the staple diet. I feed just one, and it's about 1/2 teaspoon a day. You might also want to try feeding around the same time every day. Maybe your mice are gorging because they don't know when to expect food?

With the mixture, I feed so little for one mouse that he isn't exposed to very many of the high in fat foods like the white millet seeds and the oats, and if he is, it isn't every day. Like today I saw there were more red millet than there was white. There's one dog kibble included in each feeding - it's a "minichunk" so it's not too large for him. And because I feed him just the right amount, he doesn't selectively feed and eats everything. He doesn't have food down in his bowl 24/7 either, he generally eats it all within one or two sittings.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 10-30-2009 at 06:30 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:06 AM

Try handling more? Though some dont take well to this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my mouse was really fat before too, i ended up putting her in her ball for about an hour a day over the night time hours, for about 2 or so weeks, then she started running in her wheel now she is thin again! i think she just didn't have the motivation, now she gets put in her ball once and a while but all night i hear the wheel goin, I also put mine on a lab block and i think that helped with her activity level as well.

[/CENTER]

Tags
fat mouse, not pregnant