fat mouse- any suggestions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

fat mouse- any suggestions?

Hank is so big and cute, but i'm worried about his health. I was able to look at his feet today, and saw that they looked like they had owies, probably from carrying so much weight. His coat is kind of dull looking, and he had some sores that I originally thought were from fighting with another mouse, but the more I think about it, the more I think its like bedsores, from not being able to clean himself that well. I mean, he's not morbidly obese or anything, but he is definitely overweight.
He has a wheel in his cage, and I let him out a few times a day to run around on my bed, so he gets some exercise. Right now he's eating Kaytee Fortidiet, which I know isn't the best, but its the only block that Petco carries, and I'd rather go with a block than a seed mix. What else should I be doing for him? Should I try a homemade diet instead? I just want him to be healthy and happy.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe try offering vegetables in place of some of the lab blocks. Remember that he probably didn't get much exercise at the pet store...being able to run around in your house should help him slim down. Pet stores usually feed pretty fatty diets to mice, too.

You can also try hiding his food around the cage rather than putting it in a dish. That'll give him both mental and physical exercise .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
lab block, lab blocks, pet store, pet stores, seed mix