Fat or Sick? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Fat or Sick?

My male mouse Flapjack after being hungry a couple of nights ago now eats like an elephant. His stomach looks swollen, but he keeps eating and eating and asks for more. He seems fine - runs on the wheel, cleans himself, but when he's sleeping, I can see his heart pulsating through the stomach, as if there's pressure on it. When I picked him up and touched on the left side of the stomach he squicked and jumped - in other words, he doesn't let me touch him on the left side. I can touch him on the right side through. I wouldn't say that he's constipated, because he poops. Not like he used to - everywhere and a lot, but he does poop. I usually give him oats, but on Christmas I treated him with a piece of honey cake. And after that it started. He keeps eating oats (no more cake for the fattie), and I give him carrots and lettuce and corn, and he eats a lot. Though this night I didn't leave a lot of food for him, and the swollen tummy and cold paws repeated. So is it how mice react on being underfed or it's a hidden disease?

thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hm, I'm not sure, you might want to get him to a vet, because fat mice usually let you touch them and their stomach doesn't pulse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Newborn Pup

Do you only feed a couple times a day? Mice and rats should be fed ad libitum (free choice) rodent blocks, AKA cubes or lab blocks. They have balanced nutrition in every bite. This is the only way to know for sure your little friend is getting all the nutrients he/she needs with out getting fat.
Sounds like you mouse may have a tumor, though not to common in males, it can happen. Maybe not though. A trip to the vet is a good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

No I feed him all the time - when I see the food tank is empty I add some to him. How quickly can they develop the tumor? It's been around 3 weeks only after I bought him. And the puffy stomach appeared on Christmas.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Tumors take a while to grow and abscess's come quick, though the symptoms (to me) don't seem like a tumor or abscess. It could have some kind of infection or something inside to cause the bloating. I think your best bet is to see a vet soon.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

I've noticed that his tail at the very root looks like a bit broken, and there can be marks of blood. The same in between his toes. He used to have fairly big testicles, but now I can't see any behind his stomach. He can't run, he just humbles around, though he eats okay and drinks and cleans himself. On Christmas I changed the chredded paper towel and toilet paper on red-and-green chredded paper for gifts, which colors the ground of the cage. I think it has something to do with it. Can the coloring cause digestive disfuntion? And his poop smells horrendous btw.

I wish I could go to the vet but I still hope it can go without the bill (last time I paid 125 for my cat, and it was this month). At least for now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This definitely sounds serious, and I'm sure he's not feeling well. I'd take him to a vet as soon as possible. (If the cost is a problem, you can always call around to various clinics in your area to get estimates before actually going.)

Also, I would try to strip down the cage to the basics--do regular bedding (not colored) and mouse food only, without feeding any extras for a while. Something is obviously bothering him, so by not giving the extras for some time, you can eliminate those as the potential problem. (And as always, also make sure he is taking in water every day.)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Breyer08, I will!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Breyer08, I will.

Tags
sick fat mouse